Fish dying; not sure why!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hoffmabc, Jan 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Chin up. I know it sucks right now, but we all have made mistakes in this hobby. He needs help fixing this right now not lectures.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

not tryin to lecture. just giving him the cold hard truth.

4. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i can gaurentee you have made similar mistakes, so have most of us in this hobby. its all part of learning. you dont learn if your tanks are always thriving. and nothing ever dies.

as for the tank im sure it was the tang that started it, they are very susceptible to ich and will spread it like wildfire in a tank that size. quarantine all the fish.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

6. hoffmabc

hoffmabc Astrea Snail

Ok got a qt set up. I'm down to just the Tang.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

At this point brother i'd leave the tank fallow for 8 weeks at least! sorry, but now ya can research and make your tank better! Buy ya a cool urchin or coral to watch in the meantime! Sorry mate, this sucks!

8. Click Here!

9. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

An excerpt from here.

Copper in Aquariums
    Dear Mr. Fenner;
    I am setting up my aquarium again after a move. It has been dry for about a month. Previously I used it as a fish only system and I used copper medication in it several times. However I now want to turn it into a reef tank. I have heard that once you used copper in a tank you should never use it as a reef tank because the copper stays in the silicone and will leach back into the water.

Answer: <This is more of an "urban/e myth" than fact... very little resoluble copper metal remains to dissolve back out... period>

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Believe it or not you CAN learn things without killing anything. You are correct that we do learn from mistakes but with proper research and some help from your friends at 3reef we can help you avoid alot of the mistakes that will cause death and disappointment.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/simple-rules-avoid-ich-126326.html

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Exactly.

A tank treated with copper in the past does not make that tank unusable in the future as a reef tank with corals and inverts.

I think aquarium manufactures must have come up with this myth to sell more tanks.

12. hoffmabc

hoffmabc Astrea Snail

Alright. I moved the Tang, Chromi, Starfish, and a mushroom leather coral to the new QT tank. The fish look way better now.

As far as rebuilding the tank. Do I have to start over like a brand new tank, cycle it, etc? Is it ok to keep the livestock in the QT tank that long??

I need to do this right.