Fish dying; not sure why!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hoffmabc, Jan 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Everything is now contaminated with copper, next step for me would be to grab a copper test kit and some Seachem CupriSorb. Hopefully you can get all the copper out but you may have to ditch the sand and liverock and treat just the tank with the cuprisorb til you get no copper on the tests, you may not be able to get it all out of the rocks and sand.

2. Click Here!

3. hoffmabc

hoffmabc Astrea Snail

What is the timing on the Cuprisorb? Should I start now? Or let the copper run it's course?

4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

The damage is done as far as copper in DT, can you get a QT tank set up to reat the fish while getting the DT cleaned up? Are there inverts and such that are really copper sensitive in there?

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

the caulking that holds the tank together also absorbs the copper. you're going to have a hard time with this. you *may* have to completely scrape it out and reseal the tank! :eek:

also, if it hasn't been mentioned, chocolate chip stars are not reefsafe.

your remaining snails/shrimp etc are probably all going to die :-/ from the copper. act fast and you might be able to save them.

for future reference, i prefer to treat ich with diet, not chemicals or stressful QTs.

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I'm hoping the cuprisorb can take can of the silicon, but no promises.

7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

OMG. Wow what a nightmare and sorry for your loss. Who recommended treating a DT with copper??? That is a HUGE no no. Kiss all the inverts bye bye. LR and LS is junk! You'll never get the copper out. That tang grows to 1 foot. So, as soon as the tang grows up its upgrading the tank or selling the fish. Sorry.

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

I think he said he just freaked out and did it on impulse. its a shame to hear tho.

Let this be a lesson to ALL reading that this is not adequate tank husbandry.

10. hoffmabc

hoffmabc Astrea Snail

Appreciate the comment on bad husbandry. Definitely makes me feel a lot better. I think people underestimate just how hard it is to make a saltwater tank flourish.

I guess the advice here is to treat the fish in a QT tank and just remove everything out of the main tank immediately?

1 person likes this.
  11. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

I disagree. Take the time and effort to understand the hobby from a marine biology stand point and any one can make one flourish. I started with a 20 gallon tank, my first ever fish tank, of any kind. And its going strong.

Didn't wanna make you feel bad man, by any means. but you went about this whole thing completely wrong and jeopardized many critters lives because of it.

I dont have a QT tank. i just make sure i know what i put in my tank. I dont buy on impulse.

12. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

The fish should be okay (assuming you are monitoring the Cu level and it's not too high), but everything else is gonna die if you don't get it out. LS and LR are shot, have to get new. Tank my be salvagable but no gaurentees.