Fish Dying Need Help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nept2n, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

I need help desperately, I am postind two pics of two dead fish. I have lost 10 already over this weekend and I don't want to lose anymore. I will try to give you as much information as possible if I miss something please ask.

Background

Upgrade my 90 to a 265. I used all my live rock and added more. Transfered corals and fish. I add new ones as well. The ones dying seem to be the new ones and they died quick from the day that I see they are having problems to the next day or two, then the fish is gone. The only thing that they all have in common is that they go into hidding and won't eat.

Tank 265
    rock 235lbs
    Salinity 1.025
    amonnia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5ppm or less
    Calcium 450
    Alk 11.8
    MG 1340

The new tank has been up and running for 2 months. I used all of the water from the 90 plus I added more. last Saturday I lost my first fish. I did a water change because nitrate was at 10ppm. that brought it down to zero.

Any ideas as to what can be wrong? What can be killing these fish that fast?

Here are the pics

photo_1.JPG

photo_2.JPG

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I'm going to postulate Marine Velvet. Now that you have a hugh tank investment, it might be time to add a little bit more value in a QT system. I do not QT, that being said I totally will be before adding any new fish. It doesn't cost much to get up and will more than pay itself off if you can avoid another outbreak.

4. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Definitely Velvet.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

could you be adding too many too quickly? The spots could be marine velvet but could also be stress...?

6. nept2n

Thanks all. I just read up on the velvet and it definitely seems to be the problem. I had a quarantine tank before my better half made me get rid of it. She will have to put up with it going forward. Now to catch the remain ones and treat them.

Thank you very much for your help.;D

7. nept2n

I added 3 last week. The two I posted pics and a blue hippo tang. I figured the system was large enough and it certainly has plenty of caves for the fish to retreat into (which they were) until they felt brave enough to venture out.

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

velvet is way different than ick. Ick is sorta like the common cold. Alot of people have it but it doesn't affect them because thier immue system is healthy. Velvet is like Ebola Zaire, doesn't really matter what your imunne system is, everybody in contact gets it and the vast majority die.

10. nept2n

What do you recommend for treatment? Does Pimafix or Melafix work?

11. ingtar_shinowa

Prayer. I don't know. I think there is very little you can do. From what I've read you have a day or two after symptoms before either death or they will make it.

12. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Copper works to treat it if done right.