Fish dead:(

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by saltyg, Nov 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltyg

saltyg Flamingo Tongue

My tank has been up for about 4 months now. Added 3 chromis to start then after 2 weeks added 2 ocelaris clowns, then added a kole tang and a purple psuedo. Tank is 75 gallon with 30 sump fuge. All fish eating acting normal. Tang was eating half a sheet of nori a day but would not touch any other food. No qt on any fish, I know I should know better.. Tang was first to go looked fine eating then bam next day dead. Next dumb mistake, freshly hatched brine I accidentally put in a bowl tht was dirty with who knows a little soap a little hamburger grease. Did not realize it till after.. So threw carbon in changed 5 gallons of water. Next day chromis dead and psuedo dead eating fine night before. Clowns at bottom of tank changed 8 gallons tht day. Clowns remain at bottom but swimming to eat look fine. Today find clowns dead;( have some more water ready to change.. 1 chromis left eats looks fine. Corals are fine and snails. Weird thing Nass snais will not touch these dead fish. Disease? Or my stuidity? Params as follows- amm 0, trite 0, ph 8.1, trate 0, calc 480. Starting to get cyano so I know phosphate is there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds like new tank syndrome to me.

Too many fish too quickly. Six fish in a 75 gallon is fine but I would have waited longer myself. In fact I have made the same mistake.

Just in case it is disease ,although it does not sound like it,I would wait a few weeks before adding more fish or QT them for a few weeks.

If it's contaminate I would continue with water changes and quality carbon.

JM2C

I doubt they were all collected the same way and I doubt that acclimation played a part.

4. saltyg

saltyg Flamingo Tongue

Ok, but with no ammonia or trite? Gotta google nts and see exactly. Added bio spira and seachem stability got a bunch for free so figured it cldnt hurt. All fish dripped acclimated chromis been in for 4 months pretty much. Definitely waiting awhile before any new fish just in case. Thanks for the input corai)

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

What is your tank set up? Is there a glass cover on the tank?

I'm thinking O2 levels. They would drop at night and could cause fish deaths

6. saltyg

saltyg Flamingo Tongue

Tank is a 75rr with open top 30 long sump with octo6 skimmer. Fuge has Chaeto rubble and red gracilera (sp). Mag 5 return with 2 hydro koralia 1024s. Lights reef breeders Cree 72 watt. Just added a bunch of acans, monti cap , hydnaphora, rics, a gorg, and a pavona with a couple st Thomas mushrooms. All doing well. Temp kept at 79 with ranco.also have a avast top off.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  7. Jason McKenzie

well that would rule out the O2 thoughts

8. Click Here!

9. saltyg

saltyg Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for the input though Jason;)

10. Jason McKenzie

sorry, but I'm back to Coralline's suggestions

J

11. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Hard to tell without any indications. Was there labored breathing? Velvet could kill them that quickly. Did their skin have a powdery appearance?

12. saltyg

saltyg Flamingo Tongue

I was thinking velvet but no loss of appetite. No indications cept sitting on bottom of tank only coming up top for food. Even inspected dead body's since my cuc is not touching them. Only body that had any sign was kole tang had a white patch but might be from being dead for 9 hours while I was at work. I'm sure the last chromis is a goner. So thinking waiting a week. Changing 10 more gallons. Buying one chromis and if he's a goner within a week or so would think it would have to be some sort of disease or dreaded velvet. Then fish less for 6 weeks correct?