fish cave/movie room build thread

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by chum, Mar 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

yes that is the most important part of the planning. tv and fish viewing together is a must. thanks for the input.

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I would put in on the wall to the left of the stairs. That way you can put all the sump and stuff in the room behind the tank. Explain to your wife that you will have all the beauty of the aquarium with all the silence for TV viewing. Looks like there might be plumbing in that other room which will make it easier to do maintenance. You have to be a salesman when if comes to making things work out for both of you. My equipment is in the Master Bedroom Closet behind the tank. Super silent on the living room side. Can't even here it in the closet with the door closed.

mdbostwick likes this.
  4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Rolo, I can't imagine ever being able to sell to my wife losing her closet space. o_O My wife would have given me a Colombian Necktie before she gave me her closet space.

SkyFire and chum like this.
  5. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

that is how I had my 120 setup, in that same spot you suggested with plumbing thru the wall into my sump. wife said no holes in the new wall. the sound of the tank will drown out her complaining:)

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

LOL! I gave up my small side of the closet and gave her the bigger side. After all 7 pairs of pants and 7 shirts don't take up that much space lol. Women love them some clothes.....

That's funny lol that and the volume of the tv being super loud....

chum likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I always believe in compromise with my wife... keeps the marriage good. My recommendation here is that she gets no holes in the wall and you get the 300 DD with the 125 as a sump. An entirely reasonable solution. :rolleyes: I'll be following your progress and feel free to ask for any additional relationship advice! I've been married 3 times so I'm an expert! :D

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

do you ever weigh in on decorating? like input on colors, furnishings, and such? If you do, then tell the wife that she has all control of the new room in terms of colors, decorating, furniture - let her pick the TV - then the only catch is that you can do what you need to in regards to the tank. Just a thought. If you don't weigh in such decisions, then this idea is of no help to you lol

11. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

we are still deciding on paint, got the carpet figured out last night. will be getting the dry wall this weekend. its been a slow progress, but hopefully worth the wait.

12. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

drywall is up ! still have not decided on tank or location yet. leaning towards the left wall if it is a 6' tank with the tv on the far wall. if i do a corner tank it would be in the corner near the steps. no holes for plumbing though. will have to run sumps under the tank. hopefully get some more done this week. thanks for every ones input.:)

Attached Files: