fish cave/movie room build thread

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by chum, Mar 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Hows the moorish idol doing?

2. Click Here!

3. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

its doing great. I have had it for 10 months now. thanks for asking.

4. Lovemyreef2015

Lovemyreef2015 Flamingo Tongue

I'm a lady and it seems as though she's a bit too controlling ) it's your house too after all (sorry if I sound a bit harsh but I hear this stuff from coworkers & such and also hear all the stuff they get/get away with and it's annoying.. seems like they want everything thier way and to give nothing back. Makes me wonder how they managed to get or keep the guy ). You're relegating your tank to the basement as it is, in a room she'll likely not be in much, she has the whole rest of the house, this is kinda your man cave (ie 1 room in the house that's kinda more yours , yeah it's the family movie room but really who's gonna use it more).

The fish room will make maintenance easier, quicker & cleaner....less smell when cleaning the skimmer... more clean in the DT room (no spills on the new carpet as any would be contained in the fish room).
    I'm sure she got stuff you didn't want, has hobbies that cost money too this is yours.

Holes in the wall are easy to fix.

If the shoe were on the other foot I wonder if she'd put up with that.
    You get your tank the way you want & if it's a money issue set a budget for it.

Rant over.... LOL[/QUOTE]

skyfire you need a little lesson on marriage and "controlling". You obviously don't know anything about being in a relationship with someone let alone living together. It is not your place to say anything anyway. This is a forum to help people with tanks not advice on relationships. Sorry Chum, what she said erks me, I had to say something. I'm surprised that this was even aloud to stay posted. By the way you have a nice tank and that moorish idle is beautiful.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    DSC reef and chum like this.
  5. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

thank you for your support. that was well put. its been a slow pace but I am starting to win the battle !

DSC reef and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  6. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

ok, got the electric in and the holes cut. going to put 2 inch bulkheads in the holes for plumbing and ordered a schedule 80 1" bulkhead for the sump drain. i am going to use a mag 1800 for an internal pump.so i should not have to enlarge the sump drain hole. got to buy some egg crates and another smaller sump for the skimmer box. i also used the blue mats for the the sump to sit on so it does not sit on the cold floor. here are some pics so far. IMG_7168.JPG IMG_7169.JPG

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  7. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

got the bulkhead in tonight. going to do a water test tomorrow. will be praying to the fish gods tonight ! making a trip to home depot tomorrow for milk crates and a heavy duty tote to use as a skimmer box. thats all i got for now. hope everyone is doing well. IMG_7171.JPG IMG_7172.JPG

8. Click Here!

9. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

got 20 gallons of rodi water in the sump so far and it is not leaking so far. knock on wood. bought some milk crates and a 27 gallon tote at home depot today. here is a pic so far. IMG_7173.JPG

10. Click Here!

11. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

IMG_7165.JPG i will be removing my snowflake moray eel today and taking him down to asr in frazer pa today. ihave had him for 6 months and he is awesome but i have finally decided to start vacations again i have no one to feed him while i am gone. he has also decided to start eating my shrimp if i do not feed him every two days. i am hoping he will trade for a large pj cardinal he has. my daughter says they look like walkers on the walking dead. View attachment 72839

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    Zissou and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  12. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Thats a bummer chum, I got a snowflake moray when I was in college and loved the guy. He/she was the size of a pencil starting out and quickly grew to well over a foot. This may have been due to me feeding krill and silversides almost daily. I remember it taking the food off my chopsticks and them performing an alligator style death role! Thanks for the pic, it brought back fond memories. I hope you get something good from the trade.

chum and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  13. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

thanks zissou, i hated to get rid of it but it was for the best. it is in good hands now and that is what matters the most. i did not trade for anything yet. looking to get my sump done and nitrate and phosphates down first. mine loved the same food plus some lrs fish chunky.

14. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

got the wall bulkheads in today and installed. almost looks professional .lol. i always say i am jack of all trades and a master of none. IMG_7184.JPG