Fish aren't Swimming! Help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ryanwolf, Jun 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I work at a lfs and there have been several times people have wanted to buy something that's wrong for their set up and I have advised them against it. I would rather do that and the people thank me later when they come to make their big purchases from me than to have to explain to them why I sold them fish that shouldn't have gone to their home. I can sleep at night by doing that. My boss would hang me by my toes if I did something like that.

2. Click Here!

3. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

ok ... i get that they "screwed" me ...
    how can i try to salvage... the fish were great since sat.
    The 2 new rocks may be the culprits... should i remove them...
    should i do a 10 gallon water change and add 10 gallons with 5 cups sea salt?

1 person likes this.
  4. plecosword

plecosword Plankton

one week was too fast.

5. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

Well it may be too late, but doing a quick water change probably couldnt hurt.
    I'm afraid taking the new rock out wont do any good.
    Like i said, it may be too late, but use your best judgement.
    If you have somebody with a tank you could dump your fish in that would be the best thing.
    Good luck.

6. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

Do the 10gal water change tonight, get some more salt and kit tomorrow and do changes until levels are low. Mix the salt in the buckets of water, not in the tank. Wouldn't hurt to remove the rock that are suspect.

7. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

You need to get all the fish out of the tank ASAP. Put saltwater in 5 gallon buckets that is at a SG of 1.024. Then take all the items out of your tank so you can remove the fish and place one fish in each bucket to give them the best chance. Place an air line with an air stone in each tank. Then find a person with an established tank or if a LFS will keep the fish for you till your tank is cycled then that will work.

Do not leave them in the buckets to long since there will not be any filtration.

Good luck and sorry to hear that your LFS sold you a pile of lies.:uzi:LFS

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I'm so worked up at this situation.

10. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

No kidding. i am a newbie but luckily I was told to read and read and read some more before I started. I then jumped on the net and searched like crazy. If I did not have some guidence I too could have fell for this trap. I just hope Ryanwolf does not quit the hobby because he was misdirected by a poor LFS. This is a great peaceful and enjoyable hobby once you have the guidance to be successful.

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

12. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

All I can say about this situation is WOW.
    Ready to use water and liverock? lol. I'd go to your LFS and let them know that they screwed you, and demand every dollar back, than proceed to taking your business elsewhere.

Even with pre-cured LR, it still has to sit for quite some time. There will always be a cycle while bacteria levels in your tank adjust to the tank's bioload. Even without the fish in your tank, your tank would have underwent a HUGE ammonia spike, nitrite spike, and the inevitable end-product of nitrates.... To make matters worse, you added several fish to a 1 week old system that hadn't cycled, and hadn't been monitored with proper testing equipment. I can't see any of these fish surviving in their current condition. However, on your next go-round. Make sure you add fish one by one (a couple weeks apart)... This will prevent major ammonia/nitrite spikes. Also make sure your tank is fully cycled. There is ALOT of information out there on the internet regarding cycling and is a MAJOR important part of a new saltwater aquarium. Spend PLENTY of time reading during the weeks where your tank is cycling (it's the perfect time to get to know how your mini-ecosystem works). On a side note, never add anything to your aquarium without knowing what your aquariums water conditions are like (salinity, pH, ammonia, nitrites, etc).

And if nothing else, PLEASE DO SOME READING BEFORE CONTINUING WITH YOUR AQUARIUM. I don't mean to sound cranky, but it is one of those necessary things if you're going to keep a saltwater tank. There is plenty to learn- but once you understand how things work, your new hobby will be even more satisfying and rewarding.

Once again, I am truly sorry for the BS that your LFS put you through with all this. Please, for me, give them a boot to the face.