Fish are dead!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Los1980, Jul 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. silor

silor Sea Dragon

2. Click Here!

3. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

Keeping a reef is a science and you can never rely on just one result, or one source in this case. A lot of what I've been told by my LFS turned out to be debatable, if not downright wrong. I've learned to just not ask for advice from them any more. If I have a question, I come here. When I'm ready to make my purchase, I go to the LFS.

Los, I really feel your pain here. All I can say is that it is all a learning process. I had to ground my tank to eliminate stray voltage, which I only found after a few fish of my own died. The fish killed by the sv also looked as though they were suffocating as they died.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  4. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Yup! I am gradually increasing my salt levels. I wouldn't have known unless I came here and wrongly posted because many assume you know the basics. Lesson learned from relaying on one source! Advice well appreciated.

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

We all learn something new each day we are hear so you are not alone.

That is what this forum is all about and why Los is looking for help because we can't know everything but someone will come up with an answer.

We all learn by each others misfortunes unfortunately.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FWIW, we've all been duped by the LFS at one point or another. I've been in and out of SW aquariums since the early 70s, and I'm still learning my past mistakes by being here on 3Reef. :)

As for raising your salinity, you want to go slow. Making your make-up water for normal routine water changes 1.025/1.026 and using SW for top-off instead of fresh would be the best way, IMO.

7. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Mr.Bill & Chris, Thanks. I actually have been going slower than needed more than likely. The air is so dry I lose about a gallon a day to dehydration. So, I am now only up to 1024. I expect to be up to par in a week or less. The good news is with my upgrade I practically get to start over with livestock with better lights. Thanks again to all !!! Now lets just hope Los gets squared away! Best wishes to Los!

8. Click Here!

9. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

update*

I did a 40% water change cleaned stirred the water sand bed, changed my biopellets, carbon etc.... within 2 hours the corals began opening up the water temp is at 77 all my corals survived and two clowns. RIP to my other fish and shrimp... let's see if it stablizes! Anyone every use seagel carbronmatrix and phosphate mix?