Fish are dead!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Los1980, Jul 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

That is pretty dangerous advice. Fish will be fine at those levels, but corals are not good osmoregulators. Prolonged shifts in salinity, as low as 10%, from their natural levels have been show repeatedly to result in significantly increased mortality. Corals come from different areas, with different salinity, however, the most common and average for the world is about 35ppt (or s.g. = 1.0264). So, 10% lower than that is 31.5ppt (1.0238 ). Anything under that, long term is potentially quite dangerous to our corals and other invertebrates.

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

However, it's great advice if they want to sell more inventory to replace your constant losses. :eek:
    My tank is 35-36ppt.

4. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

This would only work for a fowlr tank. Never a reef tank.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

the LFS keeps it at 1026 and thats how i keep it as well since i buy my corals there. The color is fine? it was solid green and now has all this purple growth...thats what makes me wonder if cyano is not taking over...

6. Babytank

Babytank Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wow. This guy at the store has been giving me advice since I started 4 years ago. When I began I only had a 20 gal. tank and figured I could only keep certain corals because of the difficulty of a smaller tank! He seems so knowledgable. He always said 1022 for salinity. It;s amazing how long I have gone on this way. I should have been on here more often I guess! Now that I have upgraded I can do more but this advice was critical espescially since I thought it was my lights that wern"t so great so I just bought 4 l.e.d. lamps! Every now and then I would buy a nicer coral and they always died. Now I know why. I can't believe he would do that on purpose but I will drive a little further to a different store now. Kinda sad about it. The fish always did great though so what a scam.

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

Los sorry about your fish. hope you get things figured out.

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

Yeah that sucks. You are way better off doing your own research than to rely on advice from any LFS. But hey, at least now you have some sweet leds ;)

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I don't see any cyano in your picture, just the purple undertone of the coral.
    This is the fungia I had. You can see the purple and in the front, and other areas, there are green patches. The corals, would slowly shift from green to purple, or vice versa. Sometimes it would look almost pure green, other times, would become very purple. Notice the difference in the mouth though, and yours looks kind of flat/smooth/puffed up. Doesn't seem happy. I think there is defiantly something going on, but I can't say what based on the information. All I can recommend is focusing on water changes, carbon skimming, i.e. anything to improve water quality. Definitely test for stray voltage. I'd be hesitant to recommend a dip though, it looks more like water quality issues to me. Dips can be stressful, so, i tend to only recommend them if there is something obvious, like brown jelly or tissue recession.

[​IMG]

11. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

For fish only I would think 1.022 would be fine

But I have read many articles from experts that actually you should be testing the ppm - and from most articals I have read 35pp or 1.025/1.026 is better range.

12. insanespain

I believe its PPT not PPM