First toadstool fragging

Discussion in 'Frags' started by anb, Nov 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

Got brave enough today to attempt a cut on my toadstool. Lopped of a pretty good sized head. Well see how it goes. Will post a pic in a bit! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

how did you go about doing this?

4. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

Just a single clean cut from the main coral. Id read these were some of the easiest to frag and as long as you didnt "saw it" or "mutilate it" it was pretty hard to mess up, so I thought I'd start here. Had to sort of pry it off a barnacle it was attached to as well, but all in all it was super easy. Starting to come back out already.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Cool, good luck. How are you attaching the new frag? With leathers, I have not had luck with super glue, but fishing line, or rubber bands can work. I prefer fishing line though, because to hold with rubber bands, sometimes I feel they need to be too tight or the coral may work its way out.

6. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

Probably the easiest things to frag, nice to learn basic fragging on. I frag my neon green toadstool often and give the frags to members of our local reef club, part of the DBTC idea. I use a whittled down toothpick and rubberband to hold it to the rock. That way I dont have to make it tight, and they will attach in just a few days. Then slide the toothpick out. Good sign that it is starting to come back out.

7. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

Haven't gotten that far yet. For now I just put it in a hole on the barnacle. I read that the closer you can keep it to lighting and flow conditions it was initially the better. Basically it's in the hole right above where I cut it from lol. Close as I can get.

8. Click Here!

9. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

I personally like using the rubber bands better than anything else. I had a frag shipped to me once where the guy used a zip tie through a small hole he punctured in the leather and that worked okay ... but its a pain to remove the zip tie later.

I find with a nice loose rubber band over two ends, it holds it in place just gently enough not to damage the coral ... and then in 2 or 3 days when the leather has attached to the piece of LR, the band is extremely easy to remove.

HTH

10. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

before the cut :: where i cut :: right after :: and on the sand after a fish pushed it out of the barnacle.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      382.9 KB
      Views:
    • 042.jpg
      042.jpg
      File size:
      385.6 KB
      Views:
    • 048.jpg