First time with Ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Validity, Jun 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Validity

Validity Skunk Shrimp

Alright tank has been up and going for 2 months now. And notice my Coral beauty and kole yellow eye tang has ich. The spot are on the fin and a little bit on the boddy,Alright these spot are not very big and i wouldnt say the ich is that bad. Iv notice my cleaner shrimp and 6line has been picking at them so thats keeping them undercontrol imo lol. Well anyways I dont have a Qt so today i started ich attack. Would that be okay if they are still in my dt? And also what are some other things i could do? Anything but freshwater drips cause i know that can be really stressful on fishes. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

I'm going to go ahead and tell you at ich attack doesnt work..it just turns your water brown and smelly..I used it for my first ich outbreak..did the reccomended dosage exactly when the bottle said and the ich just got worse..if people say that it does work i think that it is merely a coincidence..Just soak their food in garlic and keep your water quality good and they should pull through..as long as the fish are active and eating they should be fine...OR..you could remove all the fish from the DT into a hospital tank..treat them with hypo..and let the tank sit fallow for 6 weeks if you want to completely rid your system of ich

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  4. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

+1 on the garlic soaked food

5. GradeAMoses

GradeAMoses Astrea Snail

The regular consumption of garlic will act as a preemptive measure in safe-guarding your fish against Ich in the future by significantly bolstering their immune systems (if fed regurly that is...)

Hope this helps prevent future outbreaks!

6. ajd916

ajd916 Astrea Snail

is garlic like the kind i use from the grocery store ok to use in your tank? my specific brand is mccormick minced garlic. the ingredients are garlic, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, and citric acid (added as a preservative).

7. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

you could..but garlic extract..or liquid form is much easier to use..and the garlic specifically made for our purposes (kent garlic xtreme etc..) is (i think) much more concentrated and potent

8. Click Here!

9. TROYBOY84

TROYBOY84 Feather Duster

just buy some cloves and blend them up and filter them through a filter bag or something. don't use anything with preservatives in it. I find it easier to just buy the Kent marine garlic extreme.

10. lisafromnochas

lisafromnochas Fire Worm

+1 on kent garlic extreme. good luck. we lost our first batch of fish--which included a coral beauty to ich. It was horrible. We now have a qt/hospital tank for future outbreaks. good luck.

11. Validity

Validity Skunk Shrimp

Yeah this morning I had it coming. Lost my kole tang. :(. Well my cb looks like he is doing better. He eats like a pig still and swims good. My 6 line and chromis are doing good to!

12. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

is it true that ich can be cured by a healthy fish? or is that a myth... sorry kind of jacked..