First time fraging mushroom

Discussion in 'Frags' started by rosereef, Jan 30, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rosereef

rosereef Astrea Snail

After being settled into my tank I decided to try my hand at fragging it. I used the bottom of a yogurt cup and mesh covering it with gravel at the bottom. Funny thing is the coral was already spliting on it's own and I found that out after I cut it........lol;D
    Well I will post in about a week to see how it goes, feel free to leave me any tips that may help me =D

2. Click Here!

3. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Sounds good to me. I fragged my hairy shroom a few days ago. The new frags have already mounted, and are healing. Im hoping to trade them in my next club meeting. Good luck with the frag, and post some pics you if have them,

Michael

4. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Hey,
    There is a great video on Reef Videos on fragging mushrooms. Its a row up from the bottom. I have a hairy shroom that im going to frag soon. still a little scared :)
    -Jordan

1 person likes this.
  5. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

I found hairy shrooms to be really hardy. Like an hour after I fragged it, it was puffed back up and healing. They are regaining there zoos and coloring up nicely. Just dont do it in the tank, they are really slimmy. I had to take the whole rock out and cut it off the rock. The shrink up like a little blob, not like a normal shroom that has a stalk. And dont be scared, they dont have nurves, :lol:. It does make you feel kinda weird cutting a living thing up though. But when you get two or three new corals that look good as new in a month or so, you feel good. Plus you can trade the frags for other corals, :hehe:. Have fun!!

1 person likes this.
  6. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    amazing! im the mushroom freak and im glad someone taught me for a change! KARMA FOR THE BOTH OF YOU

7. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

8. Click Here!

9. rosereef

rosereef Astrea Snail

An update unless anyone is curious, ;)
    It seems they are very easy to frag. I cut it in 3 pieces but it also had 2 pieces of it's stalk left on the rock and one piece in the holding container so I ended up with 6 mushrooms =D

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Nice job...keep the mushrooms coming and distribute them to all of us here at 3reef! Their isn't a time restriction for you, just we'll, I want to be first!!!hahahahaha
    good luck with the fragging!
    I wonder if I can get into the fragging of Palm trees here in Connecticut? Their has to be a strong demand for them!
    Oh, by the way, let me see if my 75 gallon tank has cycled yet!!!!
    Nope not yet...darn it it has been 3 days now!!! hahahhaa

11. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

What type of shroom did you frag? I've got a bullseye that hasn't split yet...but since I've only got one of that species I'm wary of fragging it...

And Reefer, if I can chisel enough of the ice off of my driveway to get up there, I'll come pick up one of those palms....

12. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Ha, I told you it was easy. It is really scary the first time though. But in a few weeks the stump you left will become a new shroom, and all the frags you made will begin to look round again. Once you start you will never stop, lol. Im gonna have to learn on my xeina some day, and hopfully some sps acros. Ive even read of people fragging BTA anemones!!! I would not recamend this because they have a higher death rate than corals. Just a thought,

Michael