first time fragging, went well...

Discussion in 'Frags' started by sweetriden76, Feb 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok so the other day I bought a beautiful zoa rock at the LFS for 38 bucks, it probablly has 50-60 very vibrant grean polyps, but they were all around the rock so some were in the shade, so they wouldnt be open as long, dunno if its normal for zoas to close at night but mine do, also had two serpeate zoas with different coloring so I moved a few greens and the two oddbalss which are green and yellow, very easy to do with a sharp hobby knife and some gel glue to attach them...anyway heres a pic, when I get other corals I would like to learn and try to frag them as well once they grow big enough

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Nice job, I am actually about to try my first frag job myself. Karma ;D

4. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

Nice job! the only fragging(?) i have done so far is of my torch coral and it consisted of just breaking one of the heads off karma

5. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

thanks for the replys, the zoas are not really any more difficult then that, just have to be a little carefull cutting them, I'll probablly have to frag the larger group again since I read that they spread quickly, being a nano I think Im gonna stick with mostly soft corals, next one Im getting will be some mushrooms, I'd also like to get some orange ricordia and some different colored zoas

p.s. almost forgot, I found a good how too video on youtube, think i searched fragging, that gave me some comfidence to try it...

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Nice job! It is perfectly normal for zoanthids to close up at night.

PS. I hope that you're wearing gloves when fragging your zoas :)

7. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

Why gloves?

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Eye Goggles would be my first line of defense when messing with these corals

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Zoanthids contain palytoxin which can be very harmful to certain people. Like Tangster mentions, you might also want to wear goggles when fragging them.

11. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

Why?

12. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Amacarring don't want to step on you post but I want to put my 2 cents in... Why do you need to wear gloves.... goggles

zoanthids contain palytoxin, which is one of the most TOXIC substances known to man.

Palytoxin have killed, Maimed and otherwise made some people very uncomfortable. This person lost a good friend. I have a friend who got some, a very little bit in his eye and he ended up in the hospital.

The Hawaiians used it on the end of their spears to kill things "Palytoxin: History and Prehistory".

Basically it is some really, really, really nasty stuff and you must be very careful when working with zoanthids, not to get it on your skin, in your eyes or mouth or alow any kids or animals anywhere near your work area or equipment!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
    1 person likes this.