First Tank - Project (First Fish! Pics Tomorrow)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by jeremya, May 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeremya

jeremya Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

First post!

Anyway, on a whim I bought a leaky 55 gallon tank from a thrift store. I have never had a fish tank before, but I thought it would be fun to put in my middle school science classroom next year. It leaked in two places and someone had painted it an awful color with what looked like house paint ::).

Testing for leaks after scraping all the paint off and resealing (going to let it sit for a couple days):
    [​IMG]

A hood that I am building out of scrap teak and oak:
    [​IMG]

Laying out some wires for lights/ballast:
    [​IMG]

I'm sure I will be running here for help a lot.
    I started working on a protein skimmer, just haven't gotten to a point where I want to take pictures yet... And I'm not sure if it is even going to work.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Pre-game

Pre-game Astrea Snail

awesome man, but you realize... not one kid will be looking at anything but that tank... throw the learning out the window!!! at least thats what i would be doing if there was a tank to watch... :) looks like you are off to a great start~!

4. Fisk

Fisk Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I hope your science class is marine biology. :) that's all the kids will be looking at. This sounds like a pretty cool project, I'll be tagging along. You're planning to make it a reef? Have you decided on a type of filtration yet? Good luck!

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Yahoo for the kids!! Woot woot to you :)

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Awesome idea, really nice canopy!

7. jeremya

Yeah I thought about getting them distracted, but it will be worth it. 6th graders are allowed to be distracted in school.

I am thinking fish with liverock. Between the live rock and the protein skimmer I am thinking I will be set?

8. Click Here!

9. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

Congrats on the tank! The canopy is looking great, what kind of lights are you going to put in? Building a stand also?

I'm looking forward to watching this come along, you're gonna have the coolest classroom in the school 8)

10. jeremya

Thanks!
    The ballast is for 4 - T8 bulbs and my brother is a big electronics guy so he is going to wire up some 5W Luxeon Star LED's to augment that. That is the current plan anyway.

11. jeremya

I've decided since I probably wont even be ready for fish until August that each of my classes is going to choose a fish (making sure it is compatible of course) that we can buy and have as their class-fish.. *crosses fingers and hopes they choose some cheap ones*

Attempt 1 of ? at making live rock:
    [​IMG]

Getting some lights figured out:
    [​IMG]

12. sjnovakovich

sjnovakovich Bristle Worm

What a fantastic idea! I set up my reef tank last October. I have been in education for many years, currently working in education administration. I can't tell you how often I've looked at my tank and thought about what an educational tool it could be. Congratulations and thanks to you for you dedication to education and the children that you serve.