First Reef Tank - 16 Gallon Bow Front - Updated as August 17th

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by sticksmith23, Jun 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I converted my freshwater tank to saltwater back in Feb 2011. I took out all of the old substrate and added about an 1" Live Sand bed. I continued using my aqua clear 50 HOB filter and my 100 watt heater. I added some flake food to help the "cycle" start, but I was thinking that since the filter still had the bacteria in it from the freshwater setup that the "cycle" should already be good for the most part. I added enough salt to bring the specific gravity to 1.025 (I know, never mix the salt in your tank).

The tank set like this until the end of May when I added two Yellow Tail Damsel fish. The are doing just great, except hating the plain tank with no hiding spots. Yesterday (June 11th) I was able to acquire about 20 pounds of live rock, some mushrooms and zoos along with two T5 24 watt bulbs w/ ballast. The bulbs are just a little long for my 20" long tank, but I made it work.

This tank is on a very tight budget, so it will be a very slow build. I will start using RODI water for water changes and top off starting today. I didn't realize how bad the tap water was in this area until just recently. I still don't have a skimmer, but that will be my next buy along with a cleaner looking light fixture. I also will upgrade to a canister filter as soon as I can afford one or acquire one of those as well.

I have not kept corals since 2001, so I am a little behind on the technology out there now. I was only planning on getting the new lights and live rock, but couldn't pass up on the corals. I will post some pics later on today.

I know that this isn't the most ideal setup, so please tell me what I am doing wrong or give me any suggestions. I am on a very tight budget, so I want to do everything right the first time, that is why it took me so long to get where I am today.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef,

Congrats on the new corals.

I think in the long run you will have greater success for being so patient, and going slow. Ideal set up designs come and go, there are trends in this hobby as well. Sometimes simple works out just fine.

4. Owentl

Owentl Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Welcome to 3reef.

Good idea on going slow. Depending on what corals you want to keep you might be just fine with your T5 lights. MH are nice, but in a small tank can certainly cause heat issues which might require a chiller which is a large expense.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef

I agree on the slow development of the tank being good. Your lighting will allow you any coral you want in the tank.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Here are some pics of my tank. I put the corals I got yesterday on the sand bed to help them get used to the new lighting.

Attached Files:

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Beautiful corals and lovely rock work.

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

This is my light fixture for now, lol. I had to cut the ends off of the 20" Light that came with the tank. The bulbs that I got yesterday in a trade were 24" T5 lights(1 10000K I think, 1 Actinic Blue). They seem to light the tank up really well.

I'm hoping the coralline algae that came on the rock will continue to grow. What exactly do I need to supplement and how much do I need to dose to help this happen?

What is the best way to make sure that what I have will develop properly in my tank?

My wife is the photographer, she is going to help me get better pics later on.

Attached Files:

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Thank you John, it took me about 5 days to read your entire thread on John's 75 gallon reef. There is a lot of really good information in there. I learned a lot. I highly recommend that people read this so that they see how the process can work. :)

11. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

WELCOME TO 3REEF.

Beautiful tank. Good job.

12. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

;DWelcome To 3reef;D awesome tank! going slow is best! keep the GSP on his\her rock or the'll spread like wildfire!I like the scape to!