First fragging attempt?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by PackLeader, Sep 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Hi all,
    Me and my girlfriend are getting ready to make our first "frag" attempt I guess. We have a pretty good sized Green Star Polyp rock in which the mat is overgrowing the rock. We would like to take a section off and transfer it to another small rock, possibly to go into another tank. Whats the best way of going about this? Just trim off a section of mat and glue it to the other rock?
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, as this would be a first attempt and we really have no idea what we are doing;D

2. Click Here!

3. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

You don't need to glue it just stick it in a hole in the new rock and it will soon attach itself. Make sure the hole is either deep enough or small enough to just fit the GSP that it doesn't get blown out by your flow!

4. shawn8003

shawn8003 Astrea Snail

That's pretty much how I went about it my first time. What kind of glue are you using? I have a marine safe under water gel glue. The only bit of of advice I have with that is to actually do it in the water if you can, or put it into water directly after adhering the coral because the glue apparently gives off heat and may potentially damage the coral's tissue. But, star polyps grow fast enough that you can afford a bit of error.

5. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

I use a dab of super glue gel on a rock or frag plug then place a cutting of gsp on it and give it a dunk in some tank water to make it set up then just place it where i want it.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I don't have any glue yet. I had heard that just the super glue gel was safe.
    And yeah, I also heard that the GSP's were basically indestructible as far as corals go, so I figured it would be perfect for our first attempt

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

regular super glue is fine, a gel type is preferred. I used this to frag my zoa. worked great! You don't have to do it in water, but make sure to wait just long enough to allow the glue to hold, but not too long so that the heat from the curing doesn't damage the coral,goodluck

8. Click Here!

9. 4218kris

4218kris Plankton

super glue gel is best it stays in place instead of running

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

OK, I ran to the mart and got some gel. We are going for it. Wish me luck! And thanks all for the help!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008