First Defense in fully stocked sps tank

Discussion in 'DrTim's Aquatics' started by ReefHobo, May 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefHobo

ReefHobo Plankton

Can First Defense be used in a fully stocked tank. My fish have been in the tank for about 2 months but they have some ich on them. I've also lost a few Anthias due to it. The rest of the fish are doing ok but can use a little help. Is it safe to put First Defense in a fully stocked tank full of sps corals? What are possible problems? What do you recommend?

2. Click Here!

3. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

If you are dealing with ich or other disease such as a bacterial infection. A QT tank will be your best defense and step towards a rebound. If you have lost more than one fish in a matter of weeks, You have some issues going on with your tank. You need to identify probelms to give the proper results. You may as well add some cleaner shrimp for as much as those products will do to cure your tank in one shot.

This forum has an awesome feature. The giant search bar up at the top right of the screen. Type, ich, marine ich, or even white spots and you should get 500000000+ posts describing every single possible scenario and outcome. Hope this gets you off in the right direction.
    Nick

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  4. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

He asked the question on a sponsors thread , so maybe let the sponsor answer him. Also if it's a fully stocked sps tank I doubt he just cycled it 2 months ago with fish.

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

bwalker9801, Its a free public forum hosted on the internet, If the intent was what you mentioned, why would they not simply email Dr tims or a phone call. Instead they asked a question about a product because they happen to be a sponsor here on a forum for everyone to try and help them out. The point of our community.

And if i am assuming hes not brand new to this hobby like you are implying, for someone to have a full thriving sps tank thats healthy, I would at least hope they knew what marine ich was and a possible cure for it before filling their tank with fish, DId you miss the mention in the post of Multiple anthias dying.

Sorry I would like to try and help this person rather than write non helpful posts. Dr tims makes great prodcuts and are quite knowledgable but they also may be a little busy running their business that this particular question may hvae gone unnoticed for a while causing more fish to perish. Im here to help fish and other reefers, not complain.

6. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Oh nevermind , I just realized you are from Canada.
    Have a good day

1 person likes this.
  7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

lol?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Hey All

I don't mind people posting on the site as long as everyone is respectful to each other - so please let's be respectful of each other, ok.

That said I also think that blanket statements like this
    are not helpful and do not represent what we stand for. While the poster may not mean this to apply to our products because it is posted in our forum and in a post asking about a specific product of ours there is a guilt by association that implies our products don't work so I would ask that these comments not be posted here. We work hard to test and develop products that provide real value to the customer.

ok now to the original poster

Yes, First Defense can be used in a fully stocked tank. Possible problems are that your skimmer may go a little crazy for a few days but that depends on your skimmer. What I recommend is that you start with 1/3 dose and do not add any First Defense on any day that you add Waste-Away or Eco-Balance (should you be using either or both those products).

Thanks

2 people like this.
  10. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Dr Tim.
    First off you are right, by no means was I trying to bash your product or anything along those lines. I was trying to refer to the typical instant cure not being the instant cure they were looking for but that a solid qt system could be a better approach.
    Like i wrote before you products are great and I think you do amazing work and have one of the most solid lineups of good working chemicals. The ops question seemed like he was hoping dumping a bottle of mystery liquid in his tank would rid it of the ich. In my time and research I have yet to find a guaranteed cure and removal for it to quickly add when you start losing fish.
    But found copper in medicated tank had the best results.

One last thing though.
    What does myself being from Canada mean? Lol? Confused on that.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

While I think its fantastic that you are trying to help the O.P. when they post a question in a sponsors section they are usually looking for the expertise of that sponsor. Otherwise they would have posted in the community section or gone there if they didn't get a timely response. Please allow Dr. Tim to work his majic (with his outstanding products) and help the O.P. with his question. Thanks!!

12. DrTim

DrTim 3reef Sponsor

Dear reefhobo - how is your tank progressing. did I answer your questions completely? just trying to catch-up as I have been out of country for a little while