First 2 Batches...

Discussion in 'Frags' started by geekdafied, Aug 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Well I decided to take a stab at some DIY plaster or paris frag rocks. Im tired of using frag disks for a lot of things cause they just dont look right to me. Sizes range from 3/4x1/2" to 3x2"(sorta). I may write an article for my DIY method and tools on it later, but for now, heres the pics of "Geeks Reef Rocks", hahaha...

First batch, lost a few cause I keep checking to see if they were dry. I went by the instructions and the mix seemed kinda thin and took close to an hour to cure when the in structions said 30 mins...
    [​IMG]

Second batch, experimented with the mixture a little bit and got a real nice consistancy and didnt lose a single one this time, though I didnt make all of the sizes available because the small ones are just to small and could fall through egg crate.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Finally! I really dis-like the commonly used frag disks also. They don't look right and are sometimes hard to place into the perfect spot.

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Nice work. What are you using for forms?

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Im actually going to experiment and try to make some that have holes in them to fit plugs into.

Latex rock molds.

1 person likes this.
  6. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

really nice work! keep them coming

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

nice work!!! does the plaster affect any params that you know of? i hear alot of people that actually make there base rock out of concrete, pretty neat.

what where the steps/supplies to make it, i might be interested in trying this. thanks for posting :)

(+1 karma)

Matty

8. Click Here!

9. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

Those look really good! Great job!

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

These are used for growing coral on, not for homemade liverock. I wouldnt trust it to support anything. Not to mention its not very porous. P.O.P is calcium sulfate, so it will effect your ph and dkh by raising it for a short amount of time.

Supplies are plaster of paris, water and some kind of mold, follow the instructions(modify them as needed) with the plaster.

by the way... just finished my 3rd batch and added some food coloring to it to try and make it pinkish purple and apparently I didnt add enough, lol. They are all a light grayish pink...

11. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

cool, i might have to try that pretty soon here, thanks for the post.

Matty

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Thanks for the compliments!