Firefish-FOTM Sep. '09

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by missionsix, Sep 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Actinopterygii
    Order: Perciforms
    Family: Ptereleotridae
    Genus: Nemateleotris
    Species: Nemateleotris Magnifica
    Common names: Firefish, dartfish, orange firefish, magnificent dartfish,
    Reef Safe: Absolutely. A great, peaceful, addition to the reef setting.
    Max. fish size: 3"
    Min tank size: 10 gallons

Attitude: This is a peaceful fish that needs to be kept amongst other peaceful tank mates. May squabble with other firefish in the tank.
    Diet: Meaty foods. (copepods, zooplankton)
    Origin: Indo-pacific, Central Pacific, Indian Ocean
    Care: Be sure to have a sand substrate. This fish will burrow into the sand to call it a night and as an escape from predation. If no sand substrate available, provide plenty of hiding spaces.
    Compatibility: These fish should be kept singly, unless, they are paired, or, provided with plenty of room. I don't have any experience keeping more than one at a time though. One of those things that I have always assumed.8) Another reminder to measure twice, cut once.........(Thanks Annick)
    Personal observations: This is a timid fish that needs to be kept with other mellow fish. I lost my last firefish to a jumping accident. I possibly blame a yellow tang for being too boisterous and scaring it into jumping. I really like the striking colors and the "flicking" of the dorsal fin. I plan on adding a pair (hopefully) to my nano soon.

A little rusty with this species. It's been a while since I've kept one. Please share your experiences and pictures.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

nice article Missionsix

I kept a trio of these fish many years ago, they stayed together , not very active swimmers, just held their station. all facing same direction on the edge of the reef structure - a bit like they where the tanks sentries , thats how I would describe their character

periodically one or another would dart off to investigate or eat something and then come back and resume position on guard duty

Steve

Steve

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

How big of a tank were they in Steve? Were they bought together, or, separately?

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have almost an opposite experience with mine. Mine is very active and personable. And NOT shy, as it loves chasing the chromis around. I have had mine 7-8 months open top without even a hint of a jumping incident. Eats everything from brine to mysis to nori.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

It was a 5ft x 18 x 15 inch tank
    and yes I got all 3 at the same time, and there where no territorial issues between the 3 of them and they exhibited a Tetra like instinct to re group if for an example anyone approached the tank

Steve