Fire Scallop

Discussion in 'Clams' started by mikejrice, Jun 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Just want to pick everyones brains a little bit. Saw some really nice looking fire scallops at the LFS. Whats everyones take on these? Good in a reef? Good with fish?

2. Click Here!

3. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

from what I read about them,they require lots,and lots,and lots of food and will not last long in a reef tank.IMO

1 person likes this.
  4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

90% death rate, so you need to come to terms with that.
    I kept one for a while. Unfortunately, it kept moving places to where I couldn't observe or feed it, so I got rid of it.
    To stand any chance, you will need to be feeding it something like DT's or coral frenzy at least 3 times daily.

1 person likes this.
  5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I actually just bought one a couple weeks ago. They dont always fare well in tanks. They require phyto target feedings.

Plus they will move in your tank..often times resulting in starvation. Mine was attached to the front rock in the middle of my tank and it has just moved to another rock in a cave today! I can not see him very well

The guy I bought him from said one of his clients bought 5 of them. He does weekly maintance on their tank and he put them in and all 5 of them went to the back of the tank and has not been seen since. The person wanted him to tear apart the tank and get them out to the front...which he did and they again all wandered to the back of the tank!

I resisted getting one for months and months...but went ahead and got him cause I routinely dose phyto and figured it had a better chance in my tank then in the stores tank. But now I kind of wished I would not have

1 person likes this.
  6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Solves that then. Doesnt look as cool as a clam and sounds like way more work. Clams must be worth the money just gotta wait for my MH fixture to arrive.

7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I just lost mine last week. Had it for nine months. I do extremely high doses of phyto in my tank. If that can't keep them alive, i'm not sure what could.

8. Click Here!

9. Takara

Takara Astrea Snail

This is very true

10. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

They are called flame scallops and I hear they dont do well in tanks I have yet to target feed mine...it stays in a lil cave and has been there about three months now....If these things require target feeding in a tank who feed them in the ocean?....I dose my tank daily with three different cultures of live Phyto....I think keeping a healthy tank is the ticket not so much target feeding...we will see in a few more months....Most say about a six month life span so ask me in 9 months and I will see....Live Phyto and a good calcium level for the shell growth is the ticket...
    Danny

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

12. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

keep in mind that they WILL move around, especially in the beginning. An uppity flame scallop can wreak havoc on a tank in no time.