Unresolved Fire Anemone

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lpd154, Apr 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lpd154

lpd154 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 90 gallon mixed reef and included in my livestock is a fire anemone that has already produced a clone and is growing rapidly. I have heard some bad things about these nems so I'm looking for advice on what to do with them. I actually like the way that they look in the tank and I think it would be interesting to keep them in the tank if it doesn't cause me problems in the future. I'm not sure where it came from, must have hitch hiked in on some live rock or coral.

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

4. lpd154

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Well no anemone is truely reef compatible cos they can walk and sting everything they touch. But my guess is with this one, if it can inflict a powerful sting on you, then it would raise hell in a reef.

Why dont you see if your LFS will take them off you and give you a bit of credit?

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

they had one of these as my lfs and it killed every fish they put in the tank with it. (smaller display tank) the worker that was there said when he touched it it stung him worse than anything hes ever touched. i dunno ide be worried.

7. lpd154

So if I have to remove it what can I do to make sure it doesn't sting me and I don't harm the nem?

8. Click Here!

9. lpd154

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

get some fish gloves from the LFS (they are a thick plastic gloves that go way up) then get some ice cube (or even better, package of frozen food) and place it on the foot. The anemone will slowly pull its foot up and then you will ahve to go around the foot with new ice or new packages until it all pulls up! Dont ever force the foot off. It will take patience

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

you can also blast a powerhead at the foot of an anemone and it'll get angry and detach to relocate. atleast this is how i got my condy to detach so i could get it out of my tank.

ive learned that you have to preplan the tank for housing an anemone if you really want to keep one. mine moved alot even when water parameters were fine it would move to wherever the light source and food source was most prevalent. (moved three times over the course of ~5 months)

12. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Wear gloves if you plan to work with it. Don't try to rip it off the rock it's on, use the same procedures as any other anemone, ice on the foot, powerhead pointed towards the foot, credit card to wedge him off what it's on, etc.