FINISHED! My 46 bowfront canopy build.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by veedubshafer, Jun 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

I am mostly duplicating what Jwin and Triplemom built. I don't take pics of stuff as I go because I forget LOL. I will post as much as I can. In these pics I am test fitting what I have done so far on the tank and it fits like a glove! I have MH lighting to put in it but I will be using it with my current fixture which is the Current USA Sundial T5. I Should actually benefit a tiny bit just because the lighting is going to be lower and closer to the water now. When I decide to set it up with the MH lighting I will be installing two 4" PC fans. One on either side, one pulling air in and one pushing it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

good start on it vdub. look forward to your finished product

4. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Thanks! Yeah, with a HOB Fuge, Skimmer and overflow it will clean up my tank alot. I also have a yellow coris wrasse and a watchman goby so it will help contain them too if they decide to jump.

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

how are you gonna finish it in regards to paint or trim? and since its MDF , will you use a marine type paint for the inside?

6. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

The the only part that is particle board is the sides. The top is 3/4" hard wood plywood. I am using satin black rustoleum on it.

7. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

That's going to look real nice. Good job and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Yay :) I think that design is my largest contribution to 3reef :lol: I'm looking to build us another one since we got a new lighting fixture and new overflow, so the original doesn't fit anymore :)

10. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Good start.
    but why the MDF sides?
    I noticed you have the same skimmer as I do...CPR Bakpak, how do you like it?

11. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

It's not MDF its just particle board. It's cheap and light and since it is being used vertically I won't have to worry about it warping like if used on the top. I purchased small pieces of wood at Lowes, not full sheets. Reason being is my garage and storage areas are so cluttered already that I didn't want to have too much wood left over. As far as the CPR Bakpak goes. I love it. I have had it running about 10 months now and it has been great. I figure at around a year or so i'll replace the pump with a new one and keep the other as a backup.

12. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Cool, you could certainly sell the other one to someone. I even used the same gorilla glue as you :) Can't tell you how many times I watched the videos. I really appreciate the effort you made.

1 person likes this.