Finger Leather Growing question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by cuttingras, Oct 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

If all conditions are optimal, how long will it take for me to see growth on my Finger Leather and where should I see that growth start? It appears to love where I've put it. Opens up during the day and closes at night. I fed it one time this week with a little squirt of Kent Zooplex. I'm going to see how much I need to feed it, if at all. Any recommedations on feeding too, would be great! Thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

There are so many factors that come into play that there's no way to say how long till you start to see some growth. They do grow like a tree though, up and out and from the tips.

I don't think you'll need to target feed it much at all. Be carefuly you don't pollute your system.

HTH

4. cuttingras

awesome thank you!:) I will not feed it anymore and if it's looking like it needs food, that's when I'll feed it..

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Lighting is important. You might want to experiment with your light periods or move it to different locations up and down in your tank.

My finger leathers did very poorly when I ran my MH's for a long period -- they are growing faster and expanding fuller under reduced light.

Might have something to do with where they came from. :-/

6. cuttingras

mine are on actinic from 7:30am until I get up(around 8am) then I turn on the 50/50 pc's. They stay on until about 6:30pm then back to actinics until about 8:30pm. It seems to be happy with this schedule so far!

7. New2Salt

New2Salt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Do you ever notice you finger coral leaning?

I bought mine 72 hours ago. 48 hours ago I took the pic in which the finger i standing straight, and this morning I awoke to find him leaning to the right.

What is happening?

Thanks?

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Perfectly normal. Don't worry about it. As it adjusts things will square away. Just make sure it's in an area with proper flow and such.

10. cuttingras

When you feed this, do you put the food into the water column or does it need target feeding?

11. New2Salt

I feed mine Phytoplankton. The drip of Phyto sort of disperses evenly into small section of the tank. So owhile you dont have to spot feed it specifically, dropping it over the intended coral pretty much does the trick. If I miss the mark, I have observed the Finger Coral moving to "catch" the phyto!! Very cool!

12. New2Salt

Glad to hear this is normal. What are some warning signs with this species?

To OP - sorry for jacking your thread :-[ If you want I can get lost! Dont mean to distract...