Finger Leather Coral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by califjewls, Feb 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. califjewls

califjewls Astrea Snail

Hi there, I am new to this forum and new to reefing! *Waves* to everyone!

I have a 20 gallon long Nano Reef. I added a Finger Leather Coral 4 days ago, it acclimated great, perked up within hours. Water chemistry is ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 8.2-8.4, calcium is 500 (a tad high it seems), dKh 10, phosphate 0, specific gravity 1.023 and temp is 76.2-77.7.

Yesterday I caught my yellowtail damsel take a peck at the leather, so a that little piece retracted a bit but later was fine. I added a good size turbo snail last night who I have since named Bulldozer for just that reason he knocks everything over or down. He must have knocked the leather over so I picked it up and placed it right where it was.

I am attaching photos, first one from yesterday when it seemed healthy as could be, then today, all shrunken, no bumps showing and coloring is off. It also seems it is excreting a bit of slime, kind of looks like snail trail stuff. I used a turkey baster to remove the slime so far just so it doesnt transfer to anything else.

Can anyone help? Is this normal behavior? Did it just get stressed when it fell over?

Thanks in advance! :)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello, glad to have you. Yes it is normal. Your leather is ticked off and sulking. I would glue it to a rock so the turbo can't knock it over or get rid of the turbo. For this very reason, knocking things over, I don't have any turbos.

1 person likes this.
  4. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Yeah it's normal, I agree with unclejed. I sure wish mine would put some polyps out one of these days. Had it over six months and still smooth....

5. califjewls

califjewls Astrea Snail

Thank you! Yeah I was actually thinking about returning the 2 turbos I bought last night, just because they have no regard for anything in their path and they are poop machines! Can I ask what your CUC consists of? :)

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Just stressed, it will pop back soon.
    It should not be normal for the Yellow tail to nip, but that could stress as well.

Cheers

7. longballz84

longballz84 Spaghetti Worm

ive heard this from people with turbos and green emeralds the most, about them being bullies with rocks and corals...

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Sorry this took awhile, thread got burried. I use Red and Blue leg crabs, Margarita snails and Nassarius snails for the sand shifting. I have also used Conchs for the substrate surface.

10. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,

Hi califjewls, what do you use to measure your salinity? I had a problem with my calcium being extremely high which was down to a dodgy hydrometer, I ended up borrowing a refractometer to calibrate my hydrometer and found that it was completely out. This caused my salinity to be much higher than I thought and the calcium levels to also be really high. Phil

11. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

You should just toss the turbo...get smaller snails that wont reek havoc on your corals...