Finger leather coral

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by gabe, Oct 11, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabe

gabe Astrea Snail

I have this new piece of a finger coral. I glued it on a piece of rock more than once know and it keeps coming off, I'm using super glue gel. How can I keep it attached on the rock? I have it in a little cup now with a piece of rock, hoping it will attach itself. Please help, I really don't want it to die! Thanks in advance,

Gabe

2. Click Here!

3. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

You could try wedging it in between rocks and eventually it will attach. Also it also helps when you use super glue that you hold it for around 30 seconds and it also helps if you get it wet during that time. I think the water actually helps the super glue cure.

Also, I haven't done this personally but I've read of people using fishing line to hold the coral against the rock until it attaches by itself.

good luck!

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

A loosely wrapped rubber band will also work.

Jim

5. mattie

mattie Plankton

leather corals do not like super glue.
    get a small piece of LR rubble that has a little grove in it place the leather in the grove and wrap a rubber band around it just tight enough so the frag won't come out, but not so tight that it will cut the frag in half. it will attach on its own i about a week or so.

6. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

I've actually skewered the frag with a toothpick and then glued the toothpick on either side to a small piece of rock. I learned this method at MACNA last year. I've found it works quite well! :)

7. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

agree with willow!

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I also use willows method but I found some white string that is also light elastic. I find a rock with a depresion then tale a toothpick and whittle it down thin in the middle and really sharp on 1 side then poke it through the coral and place the coral in the depresion in the rock. Then I wind the elastic around the toothpick with just enough preasure to hold it against the rock. Works great. I leave the toothpick there long after the coral is attatched. I have found that if you try to remove the toothpick after only 1 or 2 weeks the coral may come off the rock. Just leave it there for a month or so then you know its really on there good.

Jay

good luck

10. gabe

gabe Astrea Snail

Thanks guys for the great advice, I will use it.

gabe