Finger coral not opening all the way

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by skennelly, Apr 15, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a finger coral, that actually you can see in my gallery. When I first bought it, it used to open and almost triple in size when the lights came on. Lately it hasn't been opening that large anymore. It doesn't look unhealthy and I have decent flow on it. My levels are all very good.

Any suggestions.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=skennelly link=board=Coral;num=1113579757;start=0#0 date=04/15/05 at 11:42:37]Lately it hasn't been opening that large anymore. [/quote]
    It might just be sloughing (very common with leather corals). How long has the coral been like this? Is the flesh still intact or is it rotting?

4. skennelly

The flesh is fine no signs of rotting or anything. It's been that way for over a month I would say. I do see some sloughing going on every so ofter, but I didn't think it would last this long.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It shouldn't last that long unless the coral has a hard time getting rid of the mucous that is produced when it's sloughing.

Has anything changed in the tank? When you say it has decent flow on it, have you increased the flow recently (they tend to prefer low to medium water flow). Nothing near it that could be stinging it? Have you moved it recently? Do you add any supplements to your tank? Do water changes?

6. skennelly

I haven't changed anything. I dose calcium and keep it around 430. I did increase the flow because I thought it might be having a hard time sloughing I could decrease the flow again. I do a 20% water change about every 3 weeks or so.

Thanks