finding the right fish

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Buzz1ightyear, Mar 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Buzz1ightyear

Buzz1ightyear Astrea Snail

hey everyone sorry if this has come up before but i was wondering what you guys look for when your buying a fish at the LFS. how do you tell what fish looks the healthiest is there certain things you look for. im new to the hobby and have only got two damsels and two clowns. when i chose my fish i looked for which ones had the best color and seemed to be the most active. so what do you guys look for?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I usually look at color and activity, and make sure it actively feeds and has no visible injuries or parasites.

4. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Just like Mr Bill said, those are the things to look for. Most stores will feed the fish if you ask and this is a good thing to do, particularly with fish that are known to be picky eaters. I also like to know what Im going to get BEFORE i go so that I am not making an impulse buy and make a mistake. Liveaquaria.com has a lot of information on individual fish and of course you can always get answers here to you stocking list questions. Good luck and welcome!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Clear eyes, fins completely intact, no fraying. A fish swimming with the group not isolated off by itself. If one fish in the tank looks sick I choose from another tank.

6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Besides what Mr Bill said I also ask how long they have had it.. I do not buy something they have had for less than a week + and prefer a couple weeks(can make it hard to find what you want though because others buy right away).

Also I look for issue with other fish in the store and ask about the filtration as generally they have multiple tanks in same plumbing. If I see other fish with issues I make sure they are not on the same filtration system.

I have no problem walking away no matter how much I want something.. early bad experiences in the hobby hardened me against impulse buys.

Also I know everyone does not have extra budget but a QT/Hospital tank really is the way to go.

7. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

+1 to above. I will say that I never go and buy a fish and am out of the store in 10minutes. I am always there a good 1-2 hours studing the fish I am purchasing as well as other fish in the tank and store. I look at all the tanks to see if there seems to be any disease in their systems and make sure everything looks right. If I get a good feeling about the store I will study the fish I want for an hour or so watching it swim, interact with other fish in the tank, study its fins and mouth, etc. Make sure to look at it at all sides looking for any sptos on the skin or fins. If a fin is slightly frayed it is no biggie as that can be from netting or transport but it shoudlnt be torn apart. If it passes my test I may ask them to feed it depending on the type of fish and bag it. Most store I go to are really good at catching and bagging a fish to minimzie stress and I woudlnt buy from a place that ptus it in a contaner and than dumped it into a bag or chases it with one net all over the place ripping apart the tank.

With that in mind I have had no issues with disease, I have had to walk away from fish I really wanted but saw a tiny speck on that didnt look right.

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Ask for salt level, temp, and pH level. I perfer to test my water before and see how close they are.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I agree with what's been said. I would suggest as a newbie in the hobby, to look at requirements for various fish and have a good idea on what different fish will need and how they will interact with other fish. You don't want to end up with a beautiful, healthy fish that you bought and get it home to find out its not compatible with your other livestock.

Like others, I usually ask them to feed the fish while I'm there. I do also feel better buying a fish that has been at the LFS for a while but I know that's not always possible. I will ask a store to hold a fish for me as well if I think there may be some questions about its eating or general health.....perhaps it's stressed from transport and needs time to settle in.