finally switching

Discussion in 'Sand' started by the glass guy, Sep 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. the glass guy

the glass guy Flamingo Tongue

Ok i am about to go to a sand bottom. Is it ok or even a good idea to leave a small layer of the rock i have in now so no burrowers cause my live rock to tip.it already looks like a house of cards as it is but is stable and sturdy.:)

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Yea best to have the rock on the glass, then sand up around it so nothing will tip over! I am waiting for this to happen with my engineer goby. I have my rocks on top of sand ;) lol yikes!

4. the glass guy

Ok for question two i can't find the distant benefits of a shallow sand bed and deep bed and its it tank type specific.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Just my opinion, I think you run a lot of risk with a deep sand bed in your display tank. A shallow bed is aesthetically pleasing and less risky of build up of potential nasties in the deeper part of the bed that can get released and can be toxic to a tank.

Deep sand beds used to be much more popular from what I've been reading in comparing days of old and now. Many do continue to use a deep sand bed for filtration but they put it in the sump as one section as opposed to the display tank.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

+1, shallow sand bed (less then 1") in the DT. If you were to do a deep sand bed, do it in a remote sump that you can take offline as OFK said.

7. the glass guy

Wife said i have the go ahead to get the sand tomorrow:) doin a jig right now!

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

10. the glass guy

Well sand in first bag anyway lol almost settled looks great