Finally made a decision!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Zgetman, Jun 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I have been mowing over the idea of building my own LED fixture, or buying one already made. I know that the options of building my own or only limited to how much I want to spend. There is a guy around me that can build a fixture for 15 dollars a LED, or 18 dollars a LED for one that is dimmable. I have been searching and searching for a reasonably priced fixture or one that I can build myself and save money. Considering I have a 4 ft tank I either have to buy one that is 38"-48" long or multiple fixtures to fit the size. I figured on spending around 600 dollars of my LED fixture but was trying to get it even cheaper. I am needing a fixture that will fit my 55g tank but has the ability to light a 75g or even 90g tank. There is one fixture that stands out to me above all the rest and it is the Photon 48" by ReefBreeders. I have read a lot of good things about these fixtures and I have noticed they are a sponsor here, and I have finally come to the conclusion this will be the way to go. I will actually be spending 500.00 which will be under my projected price.

If you guys have any other advice or think I may be making a mistake. Please let me know.

2. Click Here!

3. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

Do they sell the Evergrow led units in the States?

I use the IT2080, full spectrum and fully controllable and I am blown away by them on my 4x2x2. They have become very popular in the UK and we are seeing great results in sps dominant tanks.

I should have probably bought the IT2120 which is longer but only has 3 extra led's. Anyway, might be worth a look, at current exchange rate I paid around the $500, no doubt if they are in the US they may well be a bit cheaper ;)

[​IMG]

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Reef Breeder is like evergrow,:just with a different title.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Reef Breeder is like evergrow,:just with a different title.

6. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

Alfie uk likes this.
  7. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

Ok, thanks for putting me straight :)

For the last 10 years or so I have been a firm believer in metal halides, these definitely have converted me though.

8. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I've seen tanks with the reefbreeders. Very nice light.
    One problem with building your own is if you're not happy with it seems you lose more money trying to sell it thus not really saving money.

Zgetman and Alfie uk like this.
  9. Click Here!

10. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

Compared to the 'branded' options in the UK these are cheap, in my opinion the quality far surpasses the price tag. When you can get these at the price I dont see the point building your own. Just my view :)

Zgetman likes this.
  11. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I am looking at these other lights but I am not sold... I think ReefBreeders has a good reputation compared to the other options posted so far.