finally got that babylonian whelk snail out!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by billybaldwin3, Feb 3, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

So, I was told a snail was something it wasn't. Turned out to be a babyloian Whelk.
    Needless to say, it killed pretty much my entire CUC. Other than 2 turbo snails and my shrimp.
    and now I have a hair algae issue!!
    What does everyone recommend to get rid of it?
    -I've started running gfo..
    -cut back feeding
    -keeping my lights on for only 4/hrs a day....

I'm trying to starve it out, but it doesn't seem to be working much...

What CUC would help?
    I'm thinking a crap ton of snails and a sea cucumber....

.... Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The question is what are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Do not make too many changes at one time, one change and wait and see is the way I proceed.

Certh, Astrea have always worked well for me and basic algae control. Do not load your system up with snails, get the appropriate amount for your tank volume and let them do their work. The type of Sea Hare you get depends on the type of algae you have, it's not always easy to figure out if you have true GHA or Byropsis. A Sea Cucumber is really only going to turn over your sand bed and at slow rate, what cucumber were you thinking about?

A complete tank black out of 3-4 days has worked for me, as well as manual removal of the offending algae.

Unfortunately the issue will not be fixed in a mater of days, just like it did not develop in a mater of days.

Is your skimmer up to par, have you tried skimming wet?

Trust me I know the frustration first hand, the algae issue can be resolved though it just takes some time.

AnotherMike likes this.
  4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I might think about adding some hermits and a few more snails. glad to hear you got the offender out! The steps you're taking should help - I might opt for lights out for 3 days vs. a shorter time frame - just my .02