Fin and Tail Rot on goldfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Fonzie, May 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fonzie

Fonzie Plankton

Hello,
    I'm new to this forum and wonder if any of you might be able to help. I have 3 Goldfish that my sons brought home from a fair almost 4 years ago. They were tiny feeder fish and have grown into beautiful Goldfish. They are in a 30 Gallon tank. I just noticed that one of them has fin and tail rot. I have medication here to treat it, but I wonder if I should treat all 3 or just remove the one and treat it in a hospital tank? Does the main tank have to be treated also? Should I add Salt also? Should I remove the Filter Carbon? The instructions say to keep normal filtration, but I always heard to remove the carbon? Any answers are highly appreciated. Thank you so much.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would just treat the main tank, if it is a medication that wont kill of the biological filter.
    salt may help as parasites and bacteria dislike changes in salinity(aquarium salt only no table salt).

if the instructions say leave regular filtration, i wouldnt remove it.

the fin rot is probably caused by stress that brings down the fishes immune system. i would check your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. if you post them i could tell you if there ok or not.
    it could also be a lack of oxygen in the tank, i would watch to see if the fish are breathing rapidly or gasping at the surface every so often.

also just to prepare you if you dont know, eventually these fish will probably need to end up in a pond unless you can provide a 80 gallon tank as commons get around 20 inches. but untell then enjoy them as i think goldfish are the only true domesticated fish

edit: welcome to 3reef

Last edited: May 6, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

with anti biotic treatment you can leave carbon in most times. But it doesn't hurt to remove it if you want to.

1 person likes this.
  5. Fonzie

Fonzie Plankton

Thank you both for your replies. Yea, I decided to medicate all 3 of them in their main tank. I did a partial water change first and then added the meds and some extra aquarium salt. The water looks fluorescent lime green. Poor babies, but they seem ok, eating and all. I don't think the fin rot was caused by a lack of oxygen as there is plenty of oxygen in the tank using bubble wands and an excellent filter. They never gasp for air and only come to the surface when I feed them. I think it might have been stress as I moved them to this 30 Gal tank about 4 months ago and the one fish has had this for a couple months, I just didn't realize that's what it is. Thanks again for your replies.

6. brian0420

brian0420 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

the other tips are the same ones i'd have given you....medication and salt, the only other thing i can think of is raising the water temp which all depends on whether you have a heater in the tank.....any signs of illness and i raise the temp on my freshwater tank to around 85 seems to help

7. venus

venus Plankton

Fin rot is caused by harmful bacteria in the water.

Never mix medications and salt; this adds to the stress; choose one or the other; salt gets my preference. When used properly by dissolving and premixing in your fresh water before adding to tank; it destroys harmful bacteria and parasites without offending your beneficial bacteria. It also enhances goldfish health. Never use salt for an extended time. Goldfish that have been exposed to extreme amounts of salt or even lesser amounts for a length of time could develop an extreme sensitivity or worse; organ damage.

For bacteria infection; 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons is more than enough.

I would perform several 10% water changes throughout the day until you feel most of the meds and salts have been eliminated. You can expect that your friendly bugs colonies will be affected if not destroyed by the meds; keep a close watch on your parameters just in case. If you increase your water changes you shouldn't have to add any more salt.

I would guess your filter sits at the top of your tank. I suggest getting a water or pond pump; they come in all sizes. Water pumps sit on the bottom of the tank where the nasties are, so your friendly bug colonies will grow strong. Think of goldfish waste as food for your friendly bugs.

These pumps also provide a lot of surface action which really do oxygenate the water. Although you don't see any signs of oxygen deprivation; this doesn't mean your water is properly oxygenated.

If you have a lid on your tank remove it so the surface is exposed to fresh air.

Where you find properly oxygenated water with strong colonies of friendly bugs; you'll find very little harmful bacteria.

Raising temperatures is a bad idea; sorry. Goldfish have little tolerance for high temps; their comfort zone is 65 to 75; raising the temps will encourage the harmful bacteria and weaken the fish.

Best of luck, Venus

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

actually depending upon the type of goldfish they might, commons, shibukin, comets, can with stand high temperatures for extended amount of times provided they have enough oxygen, thats why they are suitable for ponds they with stand the winters in deep ponds were the surface layer freezes, and up to 90 degrees in the summer.

the fancy varieties arent quiet as hardy as the other tho. they should be kept at the temperatures you mentioned, in the low 70's is best as it being warm makes there digestion go easier, fancies have digestion problems do to body shape.

10. HolyK

HolyK Plankton

I have a question about fin rot. I'm not sure if one of my goldfish has a bad fin, or if it's actually rotted. Right now, it has Ick (and seems to be the healthier, happier of the two fish in my tank, though it was the one that fist came down with the disease), so I don't think I could treat both at once if it is fin rot. Pic attached. What do you think?

(first pic is edited for color enhancement only, as my camera is awful; second is with outline and arrow at smaller fin, because even after editing, the quality is too terrible to be able to see it clearly)

The fin is all-white (as opposed to his other red/white fins), and about half as short as Apollo's other fins. However, I have seen no further deterioration on it or any other of its fins.

Attached Files: