Filtration Ideas for 55gal Cube Tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by nanotrey, Feb 11, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanotrey

nanotrey Astrea Snail

I have just purchased a approx 55gal cube tank, it came with a penguin 280 bio-wheel filter. I was thinking about arranging based rock and live rock in the center of the tank and basically build a large pile that's about 2/3's of the tank high ( dims are 24"x24"x24") but I want to maintain good flow thru the pile. Any ideas?
    Undergravel, powerheads, Wet/Dry, ECT.......
    I welcome any thoughts. It could be a beautiful Tank and I only want to set it up once.... the right way.

Thanks,
    Trey ;D ;D

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Just an idea here but a spray bar in the middle of your pile of rock. That would give good flow from inside the pile pushing out so nothing you dont want would stay in there.

Marc.

4. nanotrey

nanotrey Astrea Snail

I was thinking of some kind of central support tube with holes drilled in it to give flow into the pile. but I was worried about too much flow....?

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

[quote author=nanotrey link=board=Filters;num=1108158463;start=0#2 date=02/11/05 at 17:17:45]I was thinking of some kind of central support tube with holes drilled in it to give flow into the pile[/quote]

Thats what a spray bar is :)

The flow depends on the pump you plug on it... i would say just a good powerhead rated for something around 250 gph should be enough.

Marc.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

7. nanotrey

nanotrey Astrea Snail

That looks real close. I'm interested in seeing if it can be done in a single pipe design with the pressure line coming up thru the middle and nozzle thru the sides of the overflow return. Keep the ideas coming, I'm in no hurry to screw something up. I want to have it fully design before I even buy equipment for it.

Thanks,
    TRey

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=nanotrey link=board=Filters;num=1108158463;start=0#5 date=02/12/05 at 17:22:25]That looks real close. I'm interested in seeing if it can be done in a single pipe design with the pressure line coming up thru the middle and nozzle thru the sides of the overflow return.
    Thanks,
    TRey[/quote]

Yeah that is pretty close to what he did.. except he had the returns coming through the sides of the pipe.. being paranoid about leaks, I would have come through the overflow with the returns like you are thinking.

10. nanotrey

nanotrey Astrea Snail

What kind of connection or bulkhead fitting would you use for the overflow riser? I've seen some in AES' catalog but I'm not real sure which is best for the bottom of a tank.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

One of these. 1" will give you 500 gph.

12. nanotrey

nanotrey Astrea Snail

That looks good. I think I've given up the idea of the single pipe with return coming up thru the middle. I'm thinking now I'll go with two 1" lines, and just hide the return in the central reef with jets in various locations. I may revive the idea when I have time to fabricate the components.