Filtration for 46 gallon? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by quinstar, Jan 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

I've let my tank get completely away from me after a part went out in my wet/dry filter. Thankfully there wasn't much going on at the time. I have 3 fish and a starfish in there that have somehow by the grace of God survived with no filter running for about a year. The tank has a DSB in it and about 50-60 lb of live rock. What setup would you recommend for a refugium/sump type filter? I have about $400 to blow and want to make sure I spend it wisely. I know I want a nice skimmer, as my old skimmer left a lot to be desired. I was thinking of doing a 20 gallon refugium with water coming into the fuge from the far left and right. DSB and macro on the right, skimmer on the left, and the return in the middle.

Thoughts?

Or, if you know of anything that is prebuilt that would work well that would be fantastic as I don't have a ton of free time to DIY at the moment.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

Not sure with that bio load I would worry about much besides water changes every two weeks.

Are you looking to get some corals/going reefing?

4. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

Yes! I used to have a really great tank with corals and and the like, but it's just gotten away from me and I'd love to get it back up and running nicely. When I started having issues with my filter, I just didn't want to waste the money on fixing it knowing I wanted to replace it. I'd like to add in some more livestock as well when it's all in balance again. Nothing excessive, but maybe a gobie and another clownfish. I've got a clown, royal gamma, and cardinal in there right now. They are troopers, poor things.

5. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

Yeah, a fish only with live rock is not going to be a stickler for parameters. If you are diligent in your water changes and have good water flow, not sure you'll need a skimmer/sump.

6. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

I'd like to get corals going again and I know that the skimmer helps immensely with that. Just not sure what would be the best bang for my buck with a tank my size.

7. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

I have a 46 bow front with a 10 gallon sump. I use a canister filter (well maintained), GFO reactor, Aquaripure denitrifying canister and this Skimmer 150 Gal. Skimmer - SC Aquariums
    It's working pretty good for a mixed reef so far.

8. Click Here!

9. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

I hate my canister filter. There was just way to much stuff in it all the time. I want something that is a bit less maintenance. Constantly pulling it apart to get all the detritus is out is a bit annoying. Plus, I'd like to get away from mechanical filtration.

That skimmer is right in the price range I was hoping for. I'll definitely check that one out.

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

well, I wouldn't say that. When you have fish, you're dumping food into the tank every day they they're pooping in it constantly.

I can vouch on the SCA skimmers. I have the SCA-301 and I really like it.

You're really better off making the sump yourself, premade sumps can run a few hundred dollars for a simple design. Where as if you go to Petco now and get a tank in their $1 per gallon sale range, get a few pieces of glass and some silicone to make the baffles yourself, you'll have way more $ to spend of other tank stuff! ;)

11. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

That's what I was afraid of. Sigh... I'd rather spend the money on a good skimmer and put some work into the fuge. Lowes or Menards will cut glass for you right? Does it have to be glass if I do a glass aquarium, or could the baffles be plastic?

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

It could be acrylic,if you just google aquarium sump you can find alot of options.There used to be someone on ebay that sold acrylic parts kits for assembling your own sump using an aquarium.The kits included all of the precut baffles and a top piece that accepted a bulkhead for input and filter sock.