Filter tank water?

Discussion in 'Air, Water & Ice' started by 2_slow_5.0, Jul 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2_slow_5.0

2_slow_5.0 Flamingo Tongue

I know very little about the RO/DI systems to be completely honest. I have read before it wont take the salt out of the water so I wanted to ask a few questions.

Can I cycle tank water through one on a schedule? I am sure I could plump in a pump for optimal pressure and just have it feed back into my sump but is there a benefit from doing this say once a week?

If so I would assume I would need to supplement the water? Would this affect anything or is it worth doing?

2. Click Here!

3. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Huh? Why would you try to filter your tank water through the RO unit? You should just be using the RO/DI water to replace evaporated water or when making new saltwater.

1 person likes this.
  4. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

it is not a filter for your tank water. it is a filter for your tap water before it goes into the tank.

1 person likes this.
  5. 2_slow_5.0

2_slow_5.0 Flamingo Tongue

LOL I know it can filter the water prior to going into the tank! Guess there would be no benefit to doing this!

K+ to both of ya! LOL Makin me feel stupid! Im at work bored out of my skull and have been up a long time.

1 person likes this.
  6. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

lol excuses excuses jk i feel ur pain man...in my beggining i thought the same thing. keep asking questions tho.its the best way to learn....nd if uve never felt stupid how wud u know ur feeling smart?lol...the more questions u ask the cheaper this hobby gets

1 person likes this.
  7. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Sorry, it was 4am and I should have been in bed. I was kinda confused by the question and thought maybe I was missing something. You aren't stupid. Stupid isn't curious enough to ask questions.