filter system

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by new2salt2, Feb 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

just boought a prisim skimmer deluxe. i wanted to verify that i no longer need to add air into my take VIA pump and air stone.

also that with live rock and skimmer a filter is no longer used, or needed?

2. Click Here!

3. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

The jury is still out on the removal of the filter for me at least. I know of many successes with only lr and a skimmer, but, I have always run some kind of redundant system (ug/hang on the back or canister /hang on the back or dual corner boxes-- really dating myself there) so I still use a wet-dry with the protein skimmer and now added a refugium. The other concern is nuking your tank if the live rock is not cycled yet and you remove your filter. Remember a protein skimmer removes waste but has no biological aspect so move with caution

4. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

well i do have the deluxe that uses carbon.. does that make a difference?

5. Phil5613

No carbon doesn't have the biological ability

6. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

well i have a large hangon filter maybe ill go to a smaller model and see. my LR should be good its been in tank for about a year now

7. Phil5613

If you are looking to remove the filter why not just wait a month and do it the that way the rock has time to cycle and you take less risks with your livestock?

8. Click Here!

9. Phil5613

Wait sorry if the tank ahs been up a year and the rock has been in there that long I guess you could remove the filter right away I thought the setup and rock where newer. My Bad.

10. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

no the setup has been LR with fish only for about a year. i just want to get rid of some of the clutter on the tank and a sump is not an option.