Resolved Fiji Leather issues

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Zechenia, Oct 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have had a fiji leather that's been struggling for months. It's always limp looking, but was getting some polyp extension. I have tried moving it to various flows and light intensity, but no real change.

I've finally found a spot that has been getting me more polyp extension than normal. However, algae (looks like cyno...) is growing on it's stalk. I'm worried that the cyno is growing. I've tried getting it off, but I can't really without upsetting the coral (it really looks shriveled when I tried).

So... the question I have, should I leave it and either let the part that looks healthy keep trying to survive (or let nature take it's course). Or should I try cutting off the healthy part?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

Fiji don't like being messed with much, if you stay at it, you may cause its death. If its in a good spot leave it alone. Do you have neough CUC in there? You could try blow a power head at the stalk to get the cyano off? Why do you have cyano in your tank? Slow issues? Dosing?

4. Zechenia

I have it sitting right in front of a powerhead. I try not to move it more than everyother week. Right now I'm leaving it be.

The cyno came from the tank it was previously in. It's no where else in my tank. I got a decent cleanup crew.... but won't seem to clean it off the parts next to the coral.

Also, I'm not dosing.

5. Zechenia

Also, I should add my "big three" parameters are all reading 0. The few pieces of coral I had are all from my LFS discount section, so (even though I know I should...) I don't have a kit to measure any of the reef parameters. :S

Also, it's been in it's current tank for about 3 weeks now I believe (crack in the old tank caused me to need to do an emergency change to a new tank)

6. Zechenia

7. Reefing Madness

You can probably get away with wiping the cyano away from the trunk. And he looks good in that spot to me. Got some poylps tryin to come out, looks ok.

8. Click Here!

9. Zechenia

ok. I'll give it a go. Thank you so much for your help!!!

10. Zechenia

Just want to post an update. I went to clean off the cyno, and the bottom half of the coral was definately breaking down. the coral had reattached itself above this. So I cut off the dead part, did a dip, then placed the coral back into my tank. So far it seems MUCH happier.

11. Reefing Madness

WOW. Good catch!! Very nice.:)