Fiji Gold

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by rickzter, Oct 5, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I just purchased Fiji gold and followed the directions, 15ml per 30g twice a week. I want to dose slowly, so I'm gonna add 15ml once a week. I just started using calcium in my (slowly coming along) reef and dont know what to expect. I know it's very beneficial, but I'm concerned about the chemistry of my water changing?

Anything I should know before dosing it for next week? What do I need to look out for, etc....? Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

What is Fiji Gold? I haven't heard of it.... :)

4. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

If you don't know what it is or what it is supposed to do------don't add it to the tank. There are those here that would argue that unless your tank levels test and come out low--you should not add anything to your tank. My thought is that there are some basic supplements that would have to be added (like multivitamins for us) because our tanks are basically a closed system. Because we are trying to recreate an ecosystem (or a small part of one) in our tank that would normally get all it needs from the ocean waters, we do need to be adding basics to our tank.

Mind you I said basics and never never never more than what the bottle would recommend--unless you know what those levels are in your tank. First find you a good LFS that doesn't mind educating you as you go and will take the time to answer your questions without you feeling like you are taking up their time. Second is to choose a good quality basic reef care system (I use Kent) and to start dosing as they say on the bottle as a weekly routine.

The other thing to acquire immediately would be tests for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, alkalinity, hardness, and calcium. Don't forget the hydrometer to test your salinity levels. Then begin to aquire the different tests for magnesium, strontium, iodine, iron, and molybdenum and begin to get those levels (according to your test results) in line by very slowly dripping them in. If you add what you need to bring your levels up all at once-you can cause the critters to go into shock.

Another line of thought in this area is-if you can't test for it---don't add it. Very good line of thought. Keep in mind too, that if you use various supplements like Purple Up, Figi Gold, Coral Accel, and what not-those will more than likely contain the supplements that you are already adding and could potentially foul up your levels. I would just stick to the basics and let things grow at their own pace.

Anne

2 people like this.
  5. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

6. RachelDex

RachelDex Astrea Snail

Very good post Anne. :clapping:

I found one of these yesterday. After reading about the store's great reputation with mail-order, I decided to stop in during my search for a new LFS. The customer service in this store was awful! The shop owner would not even stop what he was doing to say, "hi." I asked him about some live rock in a tank he had, and his response was "It's written on the glass," and went about his business of stocking a shelf with test kits. After looking in awe at his insane amount of corals, I decided to leave. He looks like he knows what he is doing - he had tons of corals frags for sale in special frag tanks. Too bad he had no desire to share his knowledge with anyone else. :(

Look! My signature is updated! ;D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  7. RachelDex

RachelDex Astrea Snail

Oh, to answer your question -

It's also a type of beer, but I doubt that's what he's using! :laugh3:

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Thanks, I will take your advice. I feel so smart. ;D I'll start adding calcium when I get a tester.

Mind you, just because I dont have the certain tester for the chemical I'm adding, doesn't mean I shouldn't add it. You know, those chemicals dont stick around as I'm running a skimmer and carbon. I have a beautiful Zoanthid frag that's blooming incredibly, so I shouldn't add Idione which is their main element just because I dont have a tester? I shouldn't add Essential Elements because I dont know if the water has enough vitamins?

10. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Why dose at all while running carbon? The advice to not dose what you can't test is sound and good. The flip side is yes there are more and more foods and supplements that are "wonder" products and should be dosed or added with caution. Another thing is are you positive you are not double dosing an additive? Are you sure what you are adding doesnt contain something else that you are already feeding and dosing? How old is the setup? what are your levels? what are your bioloads? Mind you that there is a build up along with that loss from the skimmer. If a skimmer and carbon stripped everything all the time we wouldnt have tank crashes.

11. RachelDex

RachelDex Astrea Snail

If that zoo was the only thing in your tank, adding Iodine without testing would not be that big of a deal. However, I doubt that one zoo is the only thing in your tank. If it is, I am sure that in the future you will want to add other livestock. Iodine in large quantities is lethal to many tank inhabitants. Sure some say it helps shrimp molt, but is deadly to your entire tank in unknown (read - untested) quantities.

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

The Idea behind all this is... If you dont know what you have.. Then it is possible to overdose :p You really can't go wrong with a good test kit. You will learn as time goes on what is best for you ;)
    I would like to know if carbon really does remove calcium from the water. Does anyone have a link on that subject? I run carbon all the time and really haven't noticed if calcium levels drop or stay the same when I change it??

Jim