few questions about curing diseases,parasites etc???

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by crystal, Apr 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

ive been reading through a few threads today about ppls fish getting ill.
    the main answer that comes up is to put the sick fish into a hospital tank and use copper medication.

now say someones fish gets ill with lets say velvet, when it has been treated and put back in the tank surely the parasite will still be in the water and attack the fish again wont it??

as ive found out that you have to leave a tank for around 3-4 months for the parasite to die off without a host??

but can you leave a fish in a hospital tank for that long while the parasite dies off??

so if you treat a fish with ireefsafe meds in the dt and the fish recovers will the parasite still live in the dt and attack the fish again??

2. Click Here!

3. ReefWizard

ReefWizard Coral Banded Shrimp

The answer is yes but the fish now have resistance to the parasite and will likely to fight off.

Yes, the parasite will die off without a host.

If you have proper hospital tank (ie large enough for larger fish and good filtration), they will do fine.

I have yet to find reefsafe meds despite ambiguous claims by manufacturers. Most "reef-safe" meds target secondary injury caused by parasite but not effective against the parasite.

Well, I'm not marine biologist and not an expert at marine diseases. I'm just sharing what I've read on different forum discussions.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

The simple best solution......I have given this advice; use Marine-Max by Tropical Science in your aquarium. It is all natural and boosts the fished immune system to keep them strong enough to ward off diseases.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Remember that coppper Mede is not for every disease. I agree with UJ, if u keep thr fishes immune system up u should be able to treat and the fish should be able to recover.

6. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

marine max is not avaliable in the uk.

7. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

i take that back i have just found some from the usa but the post worldwide. is marine max good??