Few questions About Calcium/Mag

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by destinationluna, Mar 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. destinationluna

destinationluna Skunk Shrimp

Nope was topping off with fresh ro/di
    Have not dosed anything have not had the need its always been high. So no overdose unless your talking about overdosing what was in the salt mix itself
    The only thing that has gone in the tank is the fresh salt water mix and if it was high that would raise those levels too high.

but im pretty sure that both hydrometer's i had were very old so im sure the new one is closer than the old one. But like I said above the refractometer is on its way. So tis all good just gotta get my levels back down. And should make more sense.

So would it not work the same way if my SG is up would that not raise my MG. And if so you say lowering the MG will in turn lower the SG. So lowering the SG would do the same thing. Bring the salinity down the MG will follow? I found the cause and effect here but failing to see the solution.

Would it be to lower my SG down through multiple water changes at a lower gravity. Or are you saying to lower my MG and my salinity will follow and if this is it how would I go about doing it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I believe what he is saying is that Magnesium is a salt and shows so in your SG value.

4. destinationluna

Yea that I got but what im trying to figure out is what would the best way be too lower the SG and or the MG. So in this case what would you do to get the levels of both down! it cant be good having that high a level in there for the fish.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ok sorry.

Dilution. I also mix my saltwater at a lower SG when I do water changes because of evaporation I am going to see a quick rise. ATO would be a good route if you do not currently have one.

6. destinationluna

got ya thanks.

I mix mine in a Plastic Food Grade 55 gallon drum that is in my garage and I have another one that has RO/DI in it. I just pump one to the other and add salt 1-2 days before my water change. As for top off im pretty good it gets toped off Twice a day

My wife athorized these with the taxes haha
    Refractometer
    14k Pheonix 250 watt bulb
    2 Vortech mp10's
    ATO
    2 ATI purple plus T5's
    New Mag Float
    Replacement Filters for the RO/DI
    Aquacontroller << haha you know how to sneak this one in. Take her on a cruise someone has to be there to watch the tank lol

Its gonna be like christmas ::)

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

OK, I misunderstood your situation.

Exactly my recommendation at this point. Take some SW out and replace with FW. I forget how big your tank is - I wouldn't take too much out at a time. For reference, in my 55 I would remove a half gallon of SW and let my ATO fill it back up. Then test SG next day and potentially repeat process.

8. Click Here!

9. destinationluna

Yea just did that what im worried about now is just the fact that Hydrometer who knows what one is right so gonna find a refractometer and overnite it here so I can make things right. As for right now I took out 2.5 gallon and replaced with fresh ro/di this is all im gonna do until I know exactly what the salinity of the tank is. With the MG being high im sure the salinity is too but gonna get the refractometer now so I dont have this problem again

1 person likes this.
  10. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I never said IO wasnt fine for reef tanks. I said he could use either one. Howver regular IO by the company is not made for reefs. IO is NOT specifically formulated for reefs. period. Reef crystals is. hence the name "reef". IO does not contain the same level of trace elements neede either. He was saying he like dosing manually so I suggested using IO if thats what he intended.

Didnt you just get a refractometer? Why do you need hydro?

As I orginally stated your hyrometer was probably faulty and that you where indeed adding to much salt in your make up water hence also adding more mag. So two bad hydrometers? wow.

11. destinationluna

It was a total of 3 hydrometers all I think reading wrong but will see gonna compare them all to the refractometer when it comes in. Hell I ran some fresh water through the brand new one a bought and it was reading 1.012 with fresh water in it

got another hydro at the store just to see what it said. I also ordered this and it should be here monday

Vertex Salinity Refractometer with ATC - AquaCave

12. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

What brand hydrometers are they? So the reading of 1.028 was with the new one? I would recommend this if your willing to do some experimenting with me. I just need the recommended salt ratio of your mix. We should beable to do a test to find out whih hydrometer is most accurate.