Few coral questions

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Moby Duck, Jul 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

My tank is a 55 with a 4 bulb t5 fixture ad I have zoas and mushrooms in there now. Im wanting to add new corals next week but I wanna make sure they has plenty of light. Since most of these corals I want need to be placed in the sand im kinda worried. I also have a bta that has lost its bubble so I moved it closer to the light.

Frogspawn, elegance, acan and ricordea. Will these be ok? I won't buy them if they won't

2. Click Here!

3. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

Starting you new coral on the sandbed is a good rule of thumb, this way your new coral will adjust to your lighting, but it doesn’t mean that’s where they have to stay. With that said you should be fine, but i would move the elegance and the acan to mid lvl. :)

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to why some BTA no longer display bubble tips.
    I have had them right next to each other in tanks, one with the bubble tips one without and a month later the reverse. A BTA in a tank with a 4 bulb T5 fixture and a decent reflector should be receiving more than enough light.

What brand of fixture, bulbs and reflector type?

I am pretty darn sure the corals you listed will be fine.

5. Moby Duck

My LFS said my bta may not be getting enough light so that's the only reason I put tht. I have a coralife I think. The only reason I would wanna keep my elegance on the sand is some sources say its base gets agitated on rock and I don't wanna make it uncomfortable

Oh also the reflectors are kinda one piece but bent for each bulb kinda like ^^ ^^

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I suspect your LFS just wants to sell you a better fixture.

If the LFS thinks your BTA has lost it bubbles because of insufficient light, I do not agree with that. I have kept BTA under PC lighting without issue or loss of bubble tips, there is only speculation and no scientific proof as to why BTA no longer bubble.

I do not know how deep your tank is but I suspect your lighting is adequate for that particular type of Anemone.

7. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

I've got two GBTA's in my tank that used be one. Prior to the split, I never once saw it bubble. Post-split, the smaller portion constantly shows bubbles while the larger has still never bubbled. Based on this, I agree with Corailline - BTA's are just wierd.

8. Click Here!

9. ska d

ska d Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The coralife fixture is fine. The bulbs that come with it not so much. If cost is an issue then when its time to change them go with ATI bulbs. Aquablue Special and Blue Plus seem to be the best. I had a similar setup and kept Leathers ZOOS..Sponges..Duncan.. Frogspawn.Torch..Shrooms..Trumpet..and.Chalice.. you should be fine.

10. Moby Duck

I have replaced 2 bulbs with ati bulbs the coral plus and aquablue.