Female Betta with Guppies?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by bcBIGbud420, Jul 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bcBIGbud420

bcBIGbud420 Plankton

Anyone ever get this combo to work? I have a red/blue female Betta in a 10 gallon and a whole bunch of guppies in a 20 gallon that need new homes. Any suggestions? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. sim1killa

sim1killa Astrea Snail

I have a male betta in with about 6 fancy guppies in a 32 gallon and they are fine. I had them all in a 20h before that and they were fine also. I don't see any issues. I've never had issues with aggression with a betta in a community tank.

4. mails2thiagu

mails2thiagu Feather Duster

I had male betta with guppies with no issue on 10 gallon tank. Female betta less aggressive than male betta so it may work. however not all male bettas are same, they dont like fancy guppy color and try to attack them. Trick being introduce betta after guppies got used to tank.

Here's link to my betta tank video

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

6. bcBIGbud420

bcBIGbud420 Plankton

I tried putting 2 in about a month ago, but they were smaller and all my beta did was chased them and try to eat them. I had them floating around in a bag for a good hour or 2 before setting them free. The guppies mom is just a plain guppy, while the dad is a fancy tailed

7. mails2thiagu

mails2thiagu Feather Duster

As i mentioned earlier, each betta has different character and you should try to introduce betta at last to tank not other way.

8. Click Here!

9. bcBIGbud420

bcBIGbud420 Plankton

That is just it tho, I want to put guppies into the 10 gallon where my Betta has been since I bought her. I do have one of those 1.5 gallon Tetra glofish kits currently up and running and was thinking about either putting the betta or some guppies into it

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Seems if you already tried it and she went after the guppies then the answer is no.

11. bcBIGbud420

bcBIGbud420 Plankton

I tried when I only had a castle in my tank and the guppies were pretty small, now I have some plastic foliage and the guppies are twice if not three times as big. I only tried putting 2 in at once, should I try more?

12. bcBIGbud420

bcBIGbud420 Plankton

Figured I would update this thread as it has been awhile, I have put 2 green cobra males about 1 inch long into the tank after putting in more rocks and fake plants. The Betta has been chasing them for the past hours,but cannot catch them. Seems she will let them be as long as they stay away.