feeding

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nightmare11, Oct 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Om_Seeker

Om_Seeker Astrea Snail

Hi Terry,

The article is really informative. In fact, after reading it, I felt guilty for feeding my two little yellowtail blue damsels only dried food. So I went out and bought some shrimp yesterday to add some pizzazz to their diet.

But to my surprize, after cutting a small amount of shrimp and putting it into the water, the damsels weren't even interested. A piece even bonked one in the nose and he didn't even sniff it.

So then I added their normal dried food and they went at it with their usual gusto, ignoring the shrimp pieces.

Much later on one of the damsels did nibble on a piece of shrimp floating around but did not chase it like it chases dried food that floats in the water column.

In any case, it was an interesting experiment and perhaps I'll try again some time soon.

By the way, I ate the rest of the shrimp for dinner!

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Click Here!

3. Terry_B

Terry_B Plankton

Hi Greg,

Fish do not always recognise something new as food right away. It can take a few trys.

Cheers,
    Terry B

4. Om_Seeker

Om_Seeker Astrea Snail

Hi Terry B,

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to add the new food type gradually.

Thanks,
    Greg

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Mysis shrimp fortified with Zoe vitamins, frozen cyclopeze, phytoplankton, and rotifers are what I feed my fish, corals, and clam.

6. Om_Seeker

Om_Seeker Astrea Snail

Okay, so now my damsels are going head over heels for fresh shrimp.

What happened is that my new hermits love to eat shrimp. When they are chowing down on the shrimp pieces, the hermits spit a lot of small bits of shrimp out. These bits happen to be the perfect size for the damsels to eat.

Wow, the wonders of an ecosystem!