Feeding Yellow Pollyps

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Mr._Bond, Nov 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

I've got some yellow pollyps that I've had for a couple months now. They seem to be doing fine, always opening full every day and such. I added some phytoplankton every once in a while for them, but heard recently they need to be fed each day. Is that true and if so, what do you suggest feeding every day and how?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

They don't really need to be fed as they can live and thrive from light and from whatever flake food they can catch when you feed your fish. Now if you want them to spread like crazy, go ahead and feed them but keep in mind that they are a semi-aggressive coral and can spread quickly and sting and kill any "weaker" corals that get in its way.

4. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

And that's exactly what I had read and heard when I bought them... But the guy at my LFS was shocked to hear that I wasn't feeding them daily and that they were still alive...

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

6. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

Nope, they are definitely yellow pollyps and not the sun coral... Maybe that's where the confusion came from...
    Mine are definitely not spreading like everyone talks about however, they've stayed on the original rock I bought them on. Had them for about 3 months now. Should I have seen some new growth by now?

7. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Of all the polyps I've worked with the yellow are definitely the harder to multiply. If they remain fully opened it's a good sign but they will only spread if water quality is perfect, which might include a bit of phyto every once in a while. In my experience they are great indicators of when something is wrong.

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I agree. I don't see the growth like I do in xenia. Slow grower in my tank anyways. I occassionally feed them some mysis.:)