feeding with frozen mysis shrimp

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by John Alston, Jan 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

i'm feeding 5 chromis, two clowns and a tang one cube of frozen mysis shrimp a day plus half a sheet of dried seaweed extra for the tang. i know this isn't exactly a science and there are many variables involved but does this sound in teh ball park. i have been feeding the same prior to the chromis being added. i did not add food for the chromis because i felt i was previously overfeeding. i'm just looking for comments based on others feeding habits.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I think that is a lot of food. I had 3 chromis, a clown, yellow tailed damsel, 6 line wrasse and a yellow watchman goby and I fed about a 1/2 cube of food. Also, you should mix it up. I like to use the blended frozen food that are designed for reef tanks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I think that is way to much food. You are going to feed your tank to death if your don't watch it.

1 person likes this.
  5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I mix up my feedings. Some days I do not feed, some days I will feed some Marine Cuisine, some days live brine shrimp, other days I do Mysis shrimp with a turkey baster (so I can target my Frogspawn) - some days Omega One pellets with garlic. Usually I use half a cube, there's a lot of food in one cube.

I actually hand fed my decorator crab today, he came over and crawled on my hand and picked some Mysis shrimp from my fingers.

Too much food is not good, and I've found skipping a day or two here and there make the fish attack the food and leave very little behind.

1 person likes this.
  6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Sounds like a lot. I'd go with 1/4 cube. I alternate between Rod's Food, frozen Formula One and Mysis. I'll occasionally feed some flake instead of frozen. Every 2 or 3 days I clip a small piece of Nori in the tank for my tangs.

1 person likes this.
  7. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

1/3 cube every second day with flake food and pellets on the other days. I also add a small piece of nori strips or broccoli for the tang twice a week as well.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

also you want to add stuff to the mysis shrimp...Selcon or other HUFA should be added. I feed Rods food, spirunula mysis, my own mush, forumula one and some others that I alternate. I will also add in there at times, flakes and microcrabs. Again keep a variety of food going but HUFA should be added if not already in the food (Rods has it already)

1 person likes this.
  10. John Alston

John Alston Astrea Snail

you guys are fantastic, thanks to all for yuour advice and i will definitely feed more variety and less frequently. btw, the food usually gets devouired within a few minutes and is consumed in a feeding frenzy. i guess i'm keeping these guys a little to full.

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Feed them 2-3 times a week tops. Each feeding should only last a minute or so. When I feed mine selcon soaked mysis, it's only half the cube at each feeding, and that also includes target feeding my anemone. If you keep up your feeding habits, you will have NO3 that will be off the charts.

12. bc219

bc219 Millepora

But fish are crazy and will eat and eat and eat even if they aren't hungry. Keep this in mind too, that a large percentage of fish poop is undigested food...