Feeding time?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by starfish2217, May 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

So bought some emerald cuisine and some Mysis shrimp cubes yesterday, I thawed out two cubes and im going to mix them together. My question is, how much/often should I feed my tank? its a 40 gal breeder with a half black angel, firefish, some zoa's and a candy cane coral I believe with about 30 snails and hermits. I just want to be sure to not overfeed.

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

1-2 time(s) a day. maybe one cube a day but it depends on how greedy your fish\corals\inverts are lol!i'm not good for how much to feed your fish ...

4. starfish2217

Im not either I just really want to keep my water quality perfect so I really don't want to overfeed. I have been feeding them once a day..

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I'm a very light feeder...1/2 cube mysis, 1/2 cube brine, a few pellets every 3 days. I spot feed my acans, duncan, blastos once a week. I have 3 Chromis, and a Bangaii Cardinal right now in a temporary 29 gallon.

6. starfish2217

That sounds pretty good to me. Is two cubes throughout the week too much?

7. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

I have a Royal Gramma and a Firefish as well as some corals that eat meaty food in a 40 gallon. I feed about a 1/2 a cube of Mysis every other day. On the days with no Mysis I feed 1/2 a cube of Formula One or a pinch of Formula One flakes.

8. Click Here!

9. starfish2217

I have pellets.. flakes the smaller tiny pellets and a pack of frozen mysis and the emerald cusine that has a little bit of everything. I think I will just be mainly feeding my 40 gal the frozen foods

10. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

WOW. thats alot of food daily for a small tank and a few fish. I feed my tank once daily with a large pinch of flake food. and it takes about a minute for them to clean it up. once a week they get some home made frozen foods, and that is maybe a cube worth, maybe a little more. Frozen foods like Emerald Entree have a good deal of Phosphates in them and adding in that much with the number of fish you have is going to WAY over load your tank in my opinion.

if it were me, I would feed them just enough flake/pellet daily that they can consume in under a minute. then every 3 days or so, feed 1/2 cube frozen.

11. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

I feed mostly frozen also. Although I do occasionally feed some dry foods to add variety.

IME you can feed a little more of a food at a time if it stays in suspension longer. The foods that sink tend to get overlooked by the fish and end up on the bottom or in the LR.

12. starfish2217

Im not a huge flake fan.. I want to do frozen food, the angel and the fire goby don't eat the flaked food and it just runs right into the overflow. I will just feed small amounts of frozen food every couple of days and spot feed the corals. That sounds good to me.