Feeding seaweed how often?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by ndtechie05, Apr 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Spaghetti Worm

Hey guys, I have 3 herbivores in my tank. I was wondering how often most of you put seaweed in the tank for them? Also, what else do you suppliment? It's 2 tangs and a foxface.

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

I have two tangs and i add half a sheet of seaweed each day.

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

There are many variables involved with feeding tangs and foxface....

How old/mature the system is... The more mature system requires less feedings obviously.?

Size of Fish?

Will anyone else benefit from the seaweed?
    When I first started out, I needed to feed probably a full sheet a day.

Now I portion a morning and evening feeding. Keeps down on the aggression so I've noticed.

Quater Sheet ( 3x3" ) Twice a day. Is what I feed my four Tangs. However My wrasses have become affixed to the seaweed as well. So I usually add a little extra here and there.

I had a foxface back when the tank started, he is now in my FOWLR. The fish could go through a sheet in a sitting... He still does if not more.

Best way is to play it by sight... You will know whats best for the fish.

5. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Spaghetti Worm

The tank is 2 years old...for the past year it was kind of neglected and grew a good amount of algae so they were feeding off of that. 2 weeks ago I got it all cleaned up again and removed algae from the rocks. Being I did that I started to supplement again with sheets. The purple is about 3 inches, the same with the Hippo and the Foxface is about 4-5"...I am currently feeding a quarter sheet of seaweed every other day with some Spectrum pellets on the other days. I am going to start feeding some Rod's tomorrow...

6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

tangs are not herbivores, they enjoy quite a few meaty foods. mysis, brine anything they can get.

they love seaweed and it is vital for their health but they do not live off plants alone

7. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

I put a 2x2ish sheet everyday. Lasts about a day or so maybe less