Feeding Schedule

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by rc_mcwaters3, Aug 10, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I have a heavy dominant wrasse tank that requires a heavier than normal feeding scheduled to make everyone happy and healthy. I normally feed on my days off once in the morning, 9am and once in the evening 1-3pm. Now i work 12 hour rotations on a rotating schedule so on days I work I don't get to feed at all which feels like a problem.

Now my though was to start feeding on m days off three times but that might cause an issue, or to feed in the afternoon 1-3pm and right before the lights shut off at 6pm. The though is they will eat right before they "sleep" and store more of the calories from the food than burning it throughout the day. This will leave them a better reserve on days I cant feed. I feed frozen mysis, Nori sheets, and therea +A pellets (new life spectrum) both soaked in Max amino. The nori sheets are once a week. Am i over thinking this or does this make sense?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Have you considered an auto feeder?

DSC reef and Zissou like this.
  4. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

+1 thats what I was thinking too, this way you could at least be feeding the pellets

DSC reef likes this.
  5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

every time I have tried an auto feeder it always seems to over feed plus my fish seem to have an issue eating the pellets without the amino max

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

hmm thats more problematic, Iv had good experience with ehiems auto feeder (the rectangular one) set on the minimum opening.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Flake foods are an excellent alternative.

DSC reef likes this.