Feeding Question...?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by RedGambit, Oct 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I was wondering if I was over feeding my stock... (they are plump but not totally overweight)

Stock:
    Naso Tang 3"
    Purple Tang 5.5"
    Foxface 6.5"
    Chevron Tang 1.5"
    Blue Hippo Tang 1.25"
    Blueface angel 3"
    2 Neon Gobies .75"
    Firefish - 2.5"
    Algae Blenny 3"

Feeding:

2, 3"x6" algae sheets 1 at day 1 at night
    small pinch of oceans nutrition mid day,
    1 cube of brine or angel formula. (try to alternate daily. don't always get to doing the cube)

Am I feeding them to much? I've had a debate with a few people lately and I feel that I'm over feeding them. They really haven't been to active picking on rock work and such and the algae at the bottom of the aquarium is starting to grow (Its dark green and looks like a small tree - Im assuming its a type of algae). However my chevron is getting super fat cause of this Im assuming.

Just wondering If i should cut back their seaweed?

I haven't had an issue with nitrates or ammonia at all. Both at 0.

2. Click Here!

3. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

If you are having algea problems. you are putting to many nutrients in the tank. From what I am reading I feel you are feeding way to much. I would not feed more than once a day personlly and if your tank is well established i would cut back to every other day. JMO

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Family is just making me out as the bad guy " starving the fish" Every time I turn my back someone is feeding my fish. Cousins, family members that are over and what not.. Its driving me loco!. I think I feed them once a day and thats the algae that I put in in the morning for them before I leave for work.

I've explained the whole concept to people and they just dont get it. Trying to get second or more opinions to keep my family out of my tank and to understand Im not being cruel :(

5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

A sharp knife or fork will keep their hands out of your tank. Seriously, no one that you do not give express permission to feed the fish should have their hands anywhere near it.

I would also cut back on feeding. If they are not pecking at the rock, they are stuffed.

6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Thanks for the feedback :D. Would be great if they wouldnt do it when Im not around. Any suggestions of how much I should feed algae wise per day, 1-3x6 sheet?

7. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I agree with JonJon. nobody should ever put anything in your tank without express permission. My wife and I have an understanding that she doesnt put anything into the tank without notifying me. Not that I am the boss of the tank but I feel that only one person should be tending to the tank so that way you know what has been added to the tank. She will help tend to the tank but only after talking to me first. The same as when the kids are sick only one person gives the medication so as not to OD them. The same with our tank

8. Click Here!

9. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

1 per day will be more than enough

10. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

I feed twice a week and my fish are still fat and happy. I've been doing that for getting close to a year now so it's been working for a while. While not overfeeding is important, and I do think you could easily cut back without any issues, if you could get the nutrients out then you don't need to worry so much about feeding.

You need to find a good balance, and whatever you put in has to come out nutrient wise, or you will end up with algae and other issues. There are many ways of getting nutrients out, and you should pick what works best for you. I bought an expensive protein skimmer to help remove more nutrients so I could increase the number of fish in my tank and feed them more without having an issue. Keep in mind that your fish eating the food doesn't take it out of the tank.

You hear a lot of people say they've kept tanks for years and for the first few they don't have any problems. Then one day algae shows up and they look at everything they've recently changed for what caused it. It can't possibly be what they've done all those years cause the tank never had an issue before.

Consider this. Let's say someone has a tank and 100 units of nutrients are entering the tank weekly. Through their setup, equipment, and maintenance, they are removing 99 units weekly. If there is a threshold of 100 units of nutrients before algae will grow, then it will appear that everything is great until algae starts appearing after 100 weeks, or almost 2 years. Most people won't realize that what they've been doing all that time is the issue.

This hobby teaches some serious patience. Finding the balance in the tank around nutrients and many other things is the key to long term success.

1 person likes this.
  11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I wish that was the truth here. The tank has been set up over 6 months. and easily has enough food for them to graze on, My chevron is a proven fact to that. And Im getting worried that hes getting super fat since all he does is pick on rock all day...

If anyone has any good website or data on feeding nori it would be awesome! I need to prove to them that they arent suppose to touch! I dont mind if they feed. As long as im there and I portion the foods!

12. fishfanantic

fishfanantic Astrea Snail

hey peebles! just read the facts, I'd watch it....last time somebody fed my fish without me watchin i was at work somebody fed some pellets to my fish, left the container on the top of tank under the hood.....vibes from fans made it fall in...180 gallons of fish food soup and a destroyed tank when i got home 6 hours later. so yeah letting other people feed your fish is not very good

1 person likes this.