feeding pocillopora

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Peredhil, Oct 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

There is an amazing lack of threads on these... at least that I could find.

From what I have been able to determine, I should be able to feed this cyclo-pleeze (not necessarily targeted, but dosing it in the tank).

Is that true?

Also, what I have not been able to find info on is when. Are these corals more apt to take food during the day light, actinic, or night hours? Does it matter at all? (I am thinking it does not matter).

I feed the tank

• cyclo-pleeze
    • rotifers
    • phyto
    • seaweed\shrimp concoction for the fish, but i notice the corals grab it too.
    • Kent zooplankton
    I am pretty sure the cylco-pleeze and rotifers are the only ones the Poci will care for but want to confirm.

Lastly, I live in fear of bleaching this coral bc I bleached my birdsnest under T5s. I bought this poci from a frag tank where it was under 10" of water with MH about 2 feet over the water. I have put the poci about halfway down in my tank thinking in another week or two, I could raise it to the top 1\4 of the tank... sound like a good plan?

requisite pic ;)

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Just got a pocillopora a week ago, looks good so far, nearly identical to yours. Will be tagging along, I put mine pretty high up near the halides. I feed PhytoChrom and cyclopeeze and so far mine's still bushy and happy.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The frozen cyclopeeze is going to be too large for most sps. The freeze dried cyclopeeze is probably small enough to get caught by the polyps but not digested. However, bacteria will attack the food and they will be able to capture the bacteria in their mucus nets. The rotifers may or may not be too big as well...it'll depend on their age. Your poci will feed primarily off of photosynthesis and bacterioplankton so make sure it's in an area of good current. Like most "SPS" corals, it will prefer random flow.

1 person likes this.
  5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

well that sounds a heck of alot easier than I was imagining! thanks for the info.

freeze dried cyclopeeze = rotifers???

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Nope. Cyclopeeze is made of one-eyed decapods (hence the "cyclops"). Rotifers are an entirely different animal. However you can just combine both by their scientific classification. They are both in the Teenytinybugidae family.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Can I take this out of the water?

I am thinking that is OK.

I want to pop it off the little plastic frag disc because that disc has 2 legs and it just looks weird.

But need to pull it out of water for a few minutes to do this easily...

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Should be fine out of the water for a short time.

10. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

I have a large pocci coral, i dont really feed it, but i do dose the tank 3 times a week with coral freenzy, mine grows like a weed about 8 inchs from a 250 watt MH

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Never have fed mine anything.
    What are you dosing all the phyto/plankton for?

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i have a lot of feathers... they're kind of my thing 8) soft tubed feather dusters are among my favorite additions.

I have found that dosing Phyto keeps them alive (at least that's how it seems so far IME)

the zoo plankton - that was originally coral food - but it's not real effective there (my blasto's and dendro eat it though) and now that's what I feed my fish instead of flakes (on days i don't feel like thawing out their home made food).