feeding phyto and other goodies

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Swisswiss, Jan 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

so my basement is starting to look like a psychopaths laboratory, with bubbling jars of emerald green liquid everywhere.

i have recently been able to raise brine shrimp with success (winning!) and i shall be feeding the little critters to my tank on a regular basis, I'm thinking about once a week with filter and skimmer off for one night.

but this brings me to my question, so far iv been pouring about 1 litters (0.2 gallons) worth of rotifers in my 450 litter (120 gallon) tank. is this enough food for my system or am I making a ridiculous dent? keep in mind i don't target feed

what percentage of food to dt water volume should i be dosing? I'm thinking maybe up it to two litters and include brine, phyto and roti in the mix

thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It would be more dependent on the specific concentration of what your feeding.

4. Swisswiss

yeah i thought about that after i posted :S. I'm not sure exactly how to calculate the food concentrations.

what i do with my rotifer culture is that i leave about two fingers of the culture in the jar and top off with phyto. roughly a week later the water is clear and there are wpuerbvowurgn!!! amounts of rotifers. but yeah would be unable to put a number on them.

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Just curious Swiss, where did you get the cultures for your phyto, ect.?

6. Swisswiss

First round i got a liquid starter culture from reefphyto.uk as well as their fertilizer (fertilizer seems to work well) and rotifers. but i lost my phyto cultures to a rotifer infection (turns out dedicated tools for the various cultures is really the only way to roll) after that i was able to get my hands on a couple petri-dish phyto cultures from a local fish store, they imported them from florida-aqua-farm.com

Culturing only nannochloropsis at the moment

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Wow. Bet your animals appreciate your efforts.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

and these are my brine, i harvested them from eggs roughly two weeks ago. they are in a 5 litter tank that i filled about 1 litter with rodi water and the required salt to get it to 1.021 so as to clean the sieve i collected the eggs from, then topped the rest off with my phyto cultures (also 1.021 salinity) they seem to be doing good, keep munching keep growing!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  10. Swisswiss

its not a miracle solution and it can mess with your parameters if your not careful with your culturing methods, but in my ignorance i believe anything you do to recreate a natural environment helps. also i feel more comfortable feeding these sorts of food live rather than certain concentrates you find commercially.

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Sounds like it's as good as a refugium as far as providing some live food for the critters. I think it's better in that the uneaten food doesn't just find a place and decompose. Live food doesn't pollute as fast in that respect.

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

If you are culturing rotifers and not counting your culture, your blind culturing and setting yourself up for a crash. Counting is easy and take 5 minutes.

See the Harvest tab on this page: Compact Culture System™ (CCS) | APBreed™ – Hatchery Solutions for Aquarists, Propagators and Breeders